The power of medicine

andynap

Senior Insider
A few years ago I started to get my semi-annual sore throat and bronchitis here. I went to the pharmacy for an antibiotic and they said no Rx no meds. So I went to the doctor across from the airport for a Rx. 8 people in the waiting room and after 1 hour there were still 8 people plus me so I left. Back to the pharmacy for over-the-counter meds that actually helped a lot until I got home.
Now to the present day. After that episode I always bring my own amoxicillin and prednisone. The Amox is 2x/day and the prednisone is 4 pills 3 times then 3 pills 3 times and so forth. The other day my son started to get a sore throat and heavy breathing.h Sounds familiar I said. He brought a Z-pack that wasn’t working. So last night I started him on the prednisone and this morning he woke up with no symptoms. Wow. I’ll let him finish the prednisone to make sure.
if there are any doctors here don’t yell at me. :)

It’s definitely best to come prepared with prescriptions to avoid the scenario you described, Andy. I make it a habit to visit my GP prior to any major trip to get a prescription just in case. Better to have one than not, in my experience.

We come prepared with RXs as well. But in a pinch, we have gone to the pharmacist (not saying which one and where) and told her/him our predicament. Purchased an rx drug- problem solved with no doctor visit.

Thankfully, none of our ever expanding group has required treatment by a doctor in 19-trips, nor have we brought prescriptions to the Island as none of us are on meds.