Mosquitoes seem to be hungrier this year!

stbartshopper

Senior Insider
Even with the wind in Pte. Milou, which usually keeps them away, they are around. For first time OFF isn’t doing the job for us. Although we don’t like it, we have resorted to DEET and it works. Insect Ecran sold everywhere has 50% DEET. Problem solved.
We remember our African Safaris years ago. There we were using 100% DEET for the Tsetses and it worked.
There is a trade off with the wonderful green of the island. For us, it is worth the trade off as the island always needs water.

Amy-
Don’t you ever dare ponder leaving the Forum. You, Phil and Kevin are the heart and soul of our group. Didier, Cassidain, Andy, JEK, Ellen, Izzy, Kent, Bob, Tim, the Jims .. and many other members are vital as well.
Thank you all!

Even with the wind in Pte. Milou, which usually keeps them away, they are around. For first time OFF isn’t doing the job for us. Although we don’t like it, we have resorted to DEET and it works. Insect Ecran sold everywhere has 50% DEET. Problem solved.
We remember our African Safaris years ago. There we were using 100% DEET for the Tsetses and it worked.
There is a trade off with the wonderful green of the island. For us, it is worth the trade off as the island always needs water.
You post every year that the mosquitoes are the worst. Maybe you should change villas? Or location?

Kent,
It would be a toss-up if the singular mosquito on St. Barts found your Denise or my Anita. Anita is a mosquito magnet.
Amy, I do miss Mosquito Milk as well, was good stuff.

Kent,
It would be a toss-up if the singular mosquito on St. Barts found your Denise or my Anita. Anita is a mosquito magnet.
Amy, I do miss Mosquito Milk as well, was good stuff.
We both got lucky to find a sweet woman that would marry one of us.

Missy, the pharmacies ceased carrying Mosquito Milk end of last year.

Glad I bought a brand new bottle prior to departing last year; it's safely packed away in the suitcase that stays in St Barth. It should last me through my upcoming July trip.

Have you discovered alternatives, by chance?

https://www.amazon.com/Mosquito-Mil...0085XTR3K/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 12.41.54 PM.jpg

Just checked the Amazon link. They are sold out and don't know when or if they will get them back in stock.

Phil

The bottle of Mosquito Milk which I have at home contains 24% DEET and other unnamed plant oils.

I prefer DEET as a repellent.

Deep Woods Off contains 25% DEET.
Off Family Care contains 15% DEET.

From what I've read, the concentration has less to do with effectiveness, and more to do with duration of protection.

Others prefer other repellents such as Picaridin, Lemon Eucalyptus, and others.