No Chip and Pin Card needed at exit in Gustavia Public Pay Lot

stbartshopper

Senior Insider
Last night after dinner and dancing at Le Select, we returned to our car to do our experiment. The machine in the center of the lot showed we owed 9.50 Euros. We waited until there were no cars exiting as we didn’t want to hold them up if our experiment failed. We drove to the exit; scanned our parking ticket; put in our non chip and pin card- ‘acceptez’ and lo and behold the gate arm went up and then the other and out we went.

So does one pay when exiting? Last I recall, payment was made at the kiosk in the middle.

The ability to pay with a non Chip-and-Pin card at the Exit is a new discovery. Bill learned of it from a local, and it has now been tried and confirmed to work. I've only ever used the kiosk in the middle of the lot.

So does one pay when exiting? Last I recall, payment was made at the kiosk in the middle.

64049418-747F-44C4-A695-C29128381CD2.jpeg

Scan ticket by placing it under the reader #1
Pay:
#2 coins
#3 bills
#4 Chip & Pin card (or swipe)
#5 Verify OK

Scan paid ticket at exit gate

I don't remember the slot for bills, but I'm so used to just paying with a few coins that it probably didn't register.

The ability to use a swipe card is also new to me. There have been a few times when I paid for someone who only had a non-Chip-and-Pin card.

I don't remember the slot for bills, but I'm so used to just paying with a few coins that it probably didn't register.

The ability to use a swipe card is also new to me. There have been a few times when I paid for someone who only had a non-Chip-and-Pin card.

Gen1(pictured) had the bill slot, not sure about Gen2. A pocket full of .50s makes for a quicker transaction at the kiosk than a fumble and swipe at the exit gate.

It really wasn’t a fumble and swipe. Scan your ticket; put your cc in- no pin needed -maybe 20 seconds tops and the arm goes up.

the odd thing I noticed is there are two barrier arms now at the exit, and the second one doesn't go up until the first one closes behind you.. perhaps to avoid two cars trying to exit on one ticket?

Ellen-
My thought is that the collectivite is trying to prevent people from racing into the street- the second arm brings you right up to the street side and causes at least for me another pause and look before entering...

It prevents tailgating, one car sneaking out by creeping up to the bumper of another and following them past the arm.

Warning! We tried paying at the exit last evening and it was a disaster. Three perfectly valid credit cards were rejected. We had to back up, re-park, and pay at the center kiosk with coins as that machine rejected our credit cards as well. Really sucked, especially for the people behind us who were inconvenienced.

Sorry Jim. It has worked a number of times for us over the past several weeks at the exit- no chip.
Day before yesterday, the whole system broke down and all arms were up and everybody parked for free.