Parking

stbartshopper

Senior Insider
No matter the time of day or the location, we never had a parking difficulty anywhere.
We found spots in the pay lot downtown. If we didn’t, we did the two wheels up near Orega. One time it was over by Burger Palace. It is not a hardship to walk along the water by Baz, Bagatelle and make the turn at Victoria into town. In St. Jean there was always an easy spot as well as the lot in Gouverneur. Near Eden, the side street along the canal always had spots.
The pay lot downtown is easy to understand. During the day, the maximum we paid was once 9.50 but usually 2.50. At night for dinner, it is free.
The parking gods have been taking care of us.

Good info...I need to pick up some folks at the ferry next week...hope I can park in the pay lot. Do you pay by credit card there?

The machine in the pay lot accepts Chip-and-Pin credit cards, or cash in the form of €0.50, €1, and €2 coins. Smaller coins and paper money are not accepted. The first 30 minutes are free. Get a ticket at entry, scan it and pay at the kiosk in the center of the parking lot, and scan it again at the exit.

The lot is down from the ferry but anyone can park there for any reason.
Kevin- We learned a parking lot ‘secret’ several days ago.
Initially I was confused and didn’t understand that parking at night was free. I don’t have a chip and pin nor didn’t have enough Euros in change.
A good samaritan - I believe an island resident- told me my parking was free at night. He also explained that many people don’t have chip and pins nor often the correct Euros to pay. He said at the exit, the Collectivite made it so a credit card without the pin could be used so that tourists would not be ‘trapped’ in the lot. I clarified- ‘Are you telling me with this credit card that has no pin requirement, I can pay at the exit?’ Answer ‘yes you can pay at the exit without a pin.’ I haven’t tried it as I am scared it won’t work and we will block the exit.

The lot is down from the ferry but anyone can park there for any reason.
Kevin- We learned a parking lot ‘secret’ several days ago.
Initially I was confused and didn’t understand that parking at night was free. I don’t have a chip and pin nor didn’t have enough Euros in change.
A good samaritan - I believe an island resident- told me my parking was free at night. He also explained that many people don’t have chip and pins nor often the correct Euros to pay. He said at the exit, the Collectivite made it so a credit card without the pin could be used so that tourists would not be ‘trapped’ in the lot. I clarified- ‘Are you telling me with this credit card that has no pin requirement, I can pay at the exit?’ Answer ‘yes you can pay at the exit without a pin.’ I haven’t tried it as I am scared it won’t work and we will block the exit.

Parking is free between 8PM and 8AM, and I think on Sundays and on bank holidays.

I’ve always paid at the kiosk. I wasn’t aware that cards of any sort are accepted at the exit.

A small token for the knowledge I've received. I was grateful as I had no coin and needed .50 to exit!

Jim
There are two free spots right by the Ferry. If you are lucky you might secure one. The Gendarmes are often there when the ferry comes in. Stay in or by your car.

Wheels up near Orega ended up with 135 euro ticket our last trip...we were across street down near Eddy’s...don’t be fooled if you see other cars there as we were...

No matter the time of day or the location, we never had a parking difficulty anywhere. The parking gods have been taking care of us.

This is great news to read. Parking was miserable in late July/early August. I hope the parking gods are in our favor, too.

Suggestion for Bill. Do a test, park in the parking lot, use your non chip card to pay at exit, have some euro coins in your pocket just in case. Inquiring minds are waiting for your experiment.

Cheryl and I visiting in May have never had a challenge. There were times during lunch in Gustavia that we had to drive around a bit. I always in a pinch found parking a couple of blocks over from the anchor towards the school. Just driving around the back streets always produced.

We were told by Gendarme that the location along the sidewalk by the anchor was only place for wheels up

That is my understanding also. There is one space in that area, on the Victoria end, which may be illegal too. Check for a sign, and don't park before it.