January Album & Trip Notes

stbartslover

Senior Insider
We recently returned from an eleven day work/vacation between two of our villa guests. It was a quiet time after the holidays and before the busier part of high season. The beaches were pristine with huge waves and rain the first days made the island really green.

These new signs were installed about the island which will I’m certain help people navigate.
Jam 1 abc (2).jpg
Walking down from our place to Hotel Cheval Blanc (the former Hotel Isle de France & Hotel Taiwana), we met with general manager Christelle Hilipron. Hotel renovations were not complete when we visited last November, but are now beautifully finished. You can also valet park, then pass through immaculate garden walkways to the pool, beach, restaurants and spa. Later in the trip we had an excellent lunch at La Cabanne, It's the more casual of the two restaurants--with exceptional setting, food and service.
Christelle.jpg

Caroline enjoyed the spa first day---spa manger Alice is very helpful.
Jan 3aa (2).jpg

Our villa is high and screened, however, there can still be skeeters.... Fortunately, our entire neighborhood contracts with Dead Moustic to be sprayed every other week. We also used repellent when we went out to avoid bites.
Jan 5a.jpg

Lunch at Santa Fe is something we always look forward to. Owner David (“we have to be very good twice a day”) consistently makes the entire experience first rate and views there are icing on the cake. Valet parking is a nice touch now that sidewalk parking is prohibited.
Jan 6a.jpg
Often, we had lunches on the upper terrace from Mayas-to-Go.

We went to Les Banniers for dinner just up from the villa a couple of times, which has become one of our go-to’s because of the fast, friendly service and good food. Another treat was L’Esprit for the beautiful ambiance and fare.
Jan 4.jpg

We enjoyed a day pass at Hotel Manapany with lunch and massage. Staff were attentive with beach towels for the pool and chaise lounges along the plage.
This was the included dessert which was one of the best of the trip.
Jan 6.jpg

We’ve been fortunate to have excellent staff over the years. As a maintenance guy myself, I always enjoy interacting with the island’s tradespeople. Our AC ("climatisation") tech came with his electrician colleague for a collaboration to diagnose & fix a pesky issue with one of the recently installed units...froid = cold. Voila! I love this....
Jan 7.jpg

Near the end of the trip we enjoyed a long lunch at Hotel Toiny Beach Club. Riding down in the Jeep from the top where you valet has awesome views. From our table we watched the surfers and the wind blowing over the waves into shore. Our meals along with the service was outstanding.
January.jpg

Note: the paid parking (the first 30 minutes were free) in Gustavia worked out well for us when running errands.

We would have liked one of her former ½ day boat trips this time, but Caroline of Jicky Marine tells us that they are suspended due to dock construction this season and only full day charters only are offered from the main harbor .

Finally, going though photos...this one a favorite from the last morning of our prior trip. After packing for departure and showers, Caroline and Heidi with mimosas, snapping a pic from the upper villa terrace with Cata-Cup down below.

trip report 6.jpg

Re: January Trip Notes

Always a good report Jeff- thanks. Sorry we will miss you and Caroline

Jeff . . . you really have outdone yourself! I think it’s the best-ever trip review! You hit “on all cylinders,” making me feel like a “fly on the wall” for your visit . . . loaded with local color, favorite places, & delicious food! The only qualification I would make . . . I’d rather see more pictures of Caroline than you!

Hey Den- you really shouldn’t hold back on your posts. A little more effusiveness is good. You don’t know Jeff by any chance? :biglaugh:

LOL, Andy . . . Jeff & I, as you know, have met! Caroline, as well. Quick story to illustrate our meeting — 15 / 16 years ago, shortly after buying & occupying Villa CEC, this guy — Jeff! — showed up one morning with a big bowl of mixed fresh fruit & a bottle of champagne. Welcoming us to the villa community . . . with not only a great morning awakening, but also loaded with tips for contractors, design, & our website. In intervening years, Wendy & Caroline periodically have given each of us a “look” or kick under the table when each of us is talking too much (how could that be?), laughing too loud (how could that be?), or — as spouses sometimes conclude — have had too much wine. St. Barths has created so many memorable friendships . . . and Caroline (especially Caroline - LOL!) and Jeff are legendary in the list.

And Jeff and Caroline it was great to see you both looking so relaxed and well. Keep taking good care of each other.

LOL, Andy . . . Jeff & I, as you know, have met! Caroline, as well. Quick story to illustrate our meeting — 15 / 16 years ago, shortly after buying & occupying Villa CEC, this guy — Jeff! — showed up one morning with a big bowl of mixed fresh fruit & a bottle of champagne. Welcoming us to the villa community . . . with not only a great morning awakening, but also loaded with tips for contractors, design, & our website. In intervening years, Wendy & Caroline periodically have given each of us a “look” or kick under the table when each of us is talking too much (how could that be?), laughing too loud (how could that be?), or — as spouses sometimes conclude — have had too much wine. St. Barths has created so many memorable friendships . . . and Caroline (especially Caroline - LOL!) and Jeff are legendary in the list.
I know Jeff and Caroline too. It’s easy to go overboard with them.

Laughing out loud... Talking too much... Enjoying the HVAC workers... CareFREE in St. Barth!
Thank you for your report.

Great report Jeff. We are enjoying your villa Flammands Blue this week and the place has never looked better. Believe it or not, this is our eleventh year with you and we have seen a lot of changes on the island but still love every moment here.