A sad learning today on the island-

stbartshopper

Senior Insider
Change is inevitable and sometimes the change brings on sadness. Today Annie informed us that all of Laurent Effel is up for sale. It is time for their family to begin a new chapter.
Laurent Effel has consistently been probably our favorite retail establishment on the island. Greeting Eric, Stephen and Annie is something we look forward to.
The new colors and styles of purses, shoes, wallets, belts and men’s clothing are a sight to behold. Being able to provide this to their customers comes with a price.
Developing and maintaining long term relationships with the factories that supply and produce Loro Piana, Gucci, Botega Veneta, Hermes and others requires constant work. Designing new styles and choosing colors without crossing the line of the various brands has been an art that few people can do.
Our forecast is no one will be able to replace the calibre of the annual offerings but other good stores will take their places.
As Maya and Randy have apparently also decided to move on, another beautiful restaurant will hopefully occupy Maya’s space.

. . . at the risk of being unpleasant, I’d like to say that I dislike use of the Forum as a vehicle for spreading unfounded rumors. If I occasionally describe Island gossip, it is after substantiation from several reliable sources. Sometimes they’re wrong / misinformed, meaning that I’m sorry for being part of spreading misleading information. With regard to the report of a sale of Maya’s . . . does anyone reporting the story have reliable confirmation of it?

It seems that rumor and fiction becomes fact for certain posts and I don’t care if some people don’t like me calling it out.

we too are concerned about this recent information...hoping someone else can confirm...Maya’s is top of our list for dining and Anna and her shops have been my favorite for a long time...

It seems that rumor and fiction becomes fact for certain posts and I don’t care if some people don’t like me calling it out.
Gossip is a way of getting attention and in many cases hurts the person that is the victom of that gossip.

The person who started the rumor ( I believe he said he heard this from some locals) was the person that gave maya's restaurant a 12.5/20 rating.

as my uncle used to say, always consider the source, therein lies the truth.

We dined at Maya’s last night. Randy said ‘the restaurant hasn’t been sold.’ When asked if it was for sale he smiled and like all or most of us there could be a number that might make it interesting. Bottom line- this rumor has been put to bed.
As for LE, Annie told us they already have their designs, colors, styles for next year so nothing imminent.

If true, so sad about Laurent Effel. Stbartshopper, did they say how much longer they will be open? We are coming in March and would love to get a last bag or belt. I am not a lady who likes to shop (lucky husband) but I have always had Laurent Effel in my sites because it was such a pleasant place to stroll into. I always thought their products beautifully made and reasonably priced. Boy do I hate change.

I think both these rumors have been discounted as of now.

Enjoy your shopping experiences!

“Anna” herself has confirmed it’s just a rumor...happily remaining open and working on next seasons collection.

Hawke-
I confess me re LE but my wife says I have a hearing problem even though she says she heard the same words.
I believe Miani on Maya’s which I disconfirmed last night.
Let’s just say both false and move on.

Can anyone kindly confirm the phone number for Laurent Effel?
Trying to call but the numbers I found online don’t seem to answer.
Many thanks in advance!

Can anyone kindly confirm the phone number for Laurent Effel?
Trying to call but the numbers I found online don’t seem to answer.
Many thanks in advance!

They are closed at the moment.. Annie just had a bit of a sale and might re-open in June for French mother's day (June 7) but she is temporarily shuttered.