Date night recommendation

Jeanette

Senior Insider
Hello everyone. We decided to fly in one day before my kids to avoid any chaos if we're delayed out of BOS.

What restaurant is fabulous this season that you'd recommend for a Friday night "date night?" We have plans for family dinners at Tamarin and Bonito so far and lunches at Nikki Beach and Shellona.

Merci.

Hello everyone. We decided to fly in one day before my kids to avoid any chaos if we're delayed out of BOS.

What restaurant is fabulous this season that you'd recommend for a Friday night "date night?" We have plans for family dinners at Tamarin and Bonito so far and lunches at Nikki Beach and Shellona.

Merci.

CC6BD09C-6F77-4A6B-8E91-90821E70C269.jpeg

I'm disappointed with the menu (and thus the chef) at Villa Marie. The most beautiful room on the island has, IMHO, the most disappointing chef.

If it were me, and if I were choosing a restaurant, I would go to Tamarin, and let them know in advance that it is a special "date night". I wouldn't turn down L'Esprit as a "date night" either.

But why go out at all? Go romantic. Have a chef prepare and serve dinner at your villa, You can work together to decide on a menu, you can work together to choose the wine(s) (or just buy them yourself, avoiding any markup), and everything from food prep to cleanup will be taken care of. I choose to use a private chef every trip or two, and it is a fantastic dinner every time.

I'm disappointed with the menu (and thus the chef) at Villa Marie. The most beautiful room on the island has, IMHO, the most disappointing chef.

If it were me, and if I were choosing a restaurant, I would go to Tamarin, and let them know in advance that it is a special "date night".

Why go out at all? Go romantic. Have a chef prepare and serve dinner at your villa, You can work together to decide on a menu, you can work together to choose the wine(s) (or just buy them yourself, avoiding any markup), and everything from food prep to cleanup (maybe just loading the dishwasher) will be taken care of.
Kevin,

Surely you aren’t judging by the chef’s menu alone ! We have had nothing but exquisitely prepared and served meals there. And the ambiance !

Kevin,

Surely you aren’t judging by the chef’s menu alone ! We have had nothing but exquisitely prepared and served meals there. And the ambiance !

I'm judging by my disappointing experience there. Your experience exceeds mine. I was tired of the chef and his menu ten years ago at the Goose, and his menu hasn't improved. The wine list is confusing (there was a difference between what I ordered, what I thought that I ordered, and a big difference in what I was initially charged for (but not served)). The food was average, not a bit more.

I will go back, just for the ambiance, with hopes for a better experience, but I won't recommend it until I find it worthy.

Kevin, we have given them chances, more than one. Best part was cocktails in the lounge. If we return, I would start there and move on for dinner at other favorite destinations.

I was very impressed with our dinner a couple years ago when they had their grand re-opening. I could agree with John's assessment and love for the restaurant. John, when was the last time you visited. My past two visits for dinner were disappointing, not a great disappointment, just not worth the cost IMHO.

I was going to give them another chance two weeks ago. I was turned off when the restaurant requested a voucher equaling 200 Euros per person to secure a dinner reservation. I declined to make a reservation, I following up by sending a disapproval email to the manager. That was a big turn off to me, IMHO.

Some things are changing on the Island, mostly not for the better IMHO.

However, I would recommend the breakfast served by the pool. It is steeply priced but includes all you care to order.

I am feeling sentimental tonight with so many forum "old timers" posting. We already have Tamarin on the agenda for a family night and I can't hire a chef because we'll be in a hotel our first night (although I love the idea).

We took my daughter and her boyfriend to Villa Marie for cocktails in July and the setting was very beautiful. They returned again - she for her favorite watermelon cocktail and he for a Cuban in the cigar lounge.

After reading Miani's stellar review of L'Esprit tonight and your recommendations, I think we'll give it another try.

Lauren and Joey at Villa Marie.jpg

Attachments

• Lauren and Joey at Villa Marie.jpg
    Lauren and Joey at Villa Marie.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 421
I'm judging by my disappointing experience there. Your experience exceeds mine. I was tired of the chef and his menu ten years ago at the Goose, and his menu hasn't improved. The wine list is confusing (there was a difference between what I ordered, what I thought that I ordered, and a big difference in what I was initially charged for (but not served)). The food was average, not a bit more.

I will go back, just for the ambiance, with hopes for a better experience, but I won't recommend it until I find it worthy.

“Ambiance” of the Villa Marie dining room. Hard to beat . . . except for Maya’s tonight! Light, slightly cool breeze . . . starry night, with beautifully illuminated, small cruise ship turning outside the harbor to depart to its next destination. After a bit of a rocky start in the season in initiating a new crew into restaurant standards, the Maya’s team tonight was on the right mark. Especially nice for me was the dining crowd . . . totally, wall-to-wall packed house — festive & celebratory, but no obnoxiously loud & drunk groups. Perhaps I’m showing my age, but the grace & civility of diners in a gracious setting of fine dining, with dependably quality food, mean a lot to me. (And, BTW, there may or may not have been a distant parking space where I could have avoided the valet parking attendant . . . but, really -- if one is paying multiple X dollars for a fine evening of dining & ambiance, why not allow 15 Euros to the poor guy who struggles to get by in a very costly living environment?).

Jeanette,
You can not go wrong at L'Esprit. Maya's would also take great care of you both for a romantic evening alone next to the waterfront.

Wow,
Dennis just posted a fine evening at Maya's while I was posting about Maya's, ears must have been burning

Our favorites for date night, family night or any night are Orega, Mayas and L'Isola. They always deliver a great meal, service and ambiance.

Dora at Maya’s will print a personalized menu with whatever greeting you would like at the top. She will have a delicious brownie cake made and reserve a seaside table. If you tell her in advance Maya’s will make a special meal if they are able to obtain what is needed.