Gin recommendation

I like my Gin to taste like Gin. Tanqueray.

If I want something more floral, which I do on occasion, then it is Empress 1908 from Victoria, BC. Empress is not available on SBH.
Tangueray for a gin and tonic with lime. Sometimes I will spend the extra for a more expensive tonic water.

The gin conversation has been a funny one to follow, the smell, notice I didn't say aroma, reminds me of a cheap perfume. Tho last week having lunch at a fine dining restaurant in our town that serves dinner only except for Friday when open for lunch. Arriving at 11:15 am all the time slots taken, who knew in our little southern town that we'd need a reservation that early so we sat at the bar which was fine. Asking the couple next to me what was in their tiny coupe style glasses...the 25 cent martinis a Friday lunch only thing. So I decided to try one, never again, reminded me of that cheap perfume. And the women sitting next to my husband with their mini martinis are there every Friday. A Bluffton thing.

For 25 cent martinis, you get the gin that you paid for.

In the “old days” in SC, you got the gin that you paid for too, in the last of the mini bottle (nips for me and Hawke) states.

Funny that you mention nips. One of my pet peeves. Sometimes I will walk our dog down to the library. Dog friendly . Has a sidewalk and fairly busy. Many nip bottles along the side. I called a friend and asked why people would buy nips instead of half pints or pints. It was obvious as soon as he told me. Easy to toss out the window after drinking and if you get pulled over there are no containers in the car. Wonder if outside the Boston area nips are called something else.

I dine regularly at a restaurant on the 2nd floor of a building. There is a walkway and a liquor store on the first floor, adjacent to the elevator. I often see empty nips there. The derogatory term in MA for empty nips is “Kitty Litter”, a cheap shot at a former Governor’s wife, who is in recovery from her dependency. In other states, nips are known as either minis or airplane bottles.

Growing up in a family with alcholic parents I know the damage it does. My younger brother died at an early age in an apartment in Brockton MA, no one reported it until the smell got so bad.

25 cent martinis must pack them in.
All tables filled by noon, bar seats before then. Excellent lunch menu for just Friday is interesting concept, will be going back for dinner this week for a prix fixe Restaurant Week Dinner with unknown menu. Maybe another lunch on Valentine's Day since falls on a Friday. And soon we head up to Charleston for husband early birthday 3 days 2 nites trying new to us restaurants.

Atta girl...the quest continues to find really good dining spots. Early happy birthday Doug.