Reservations 2020!

Guenther

SBH Member
Getting closer to arrival now!
Margaux at Ici&La has helped with reservations for us, as usual, since it is a little challenging calling last minute when we arrive to set up for the stay.
We have both left every year swearing we will learn French. Maybe next year!!!
Open to suggestions of course. If we could stay longer we would go everywhere.
So hard to decide when you only have 10 nights...

If you have a favorite breakfast place please let us know. We (I) love Repair and Creperie. Repair scrambled and bacon are better than anywhere in philly. Crepes, easy egg, swiss, bacon are something I look forward too. Plus the scenery at both places.
Of course you get limited by what you you think you know, would love to expand our horizons !

So below is the plan...

Had to change Orega due to being closed to another night. We have never been. Black Ginger has been great in the past but view it as a maybe. First night at Pearl Beach is something new to try out, as we will be wasted from travel. Please give some input if you have any on this choice.
In the old days always was Do Brazil first night :(
How about Fish Corner for dinner ? Was great for lunch last year, safe to assume great for dinner ?

I know some of the big names are missing, but so little time... and money !

I know this photo is lame, but couldn't seem to insert anything bigger. Oh well.
Best to all, G&L

IMG_8299.jpg

Philly? No wonder I agree with virtually 100% with the prior dining reviews you posted.

Your dining line-up looks fabulous. The only "big name" I see missing is L'Esprit and I know how you feel about that from your trip report.

A few thoughts:
Dinner at Pearl Beach is a relaxing, splendid choice for your first night. The setting is simply perfect at night with the waves lapping feet away and the lights of Eden Rock down the beach.

Fish Corner's menu is the same for lunch and dinner, so you can't go wrong. The only suggestion I would make is to switch your Fish Corner and Bonito nights. The Saturday night vibe at Bonito is great. I'll be dining there the same evening.

We'll also be trying Jarad this trip after skipping Le Toiny for a few years. I haven't seen recent reviews on the forum, but the TripAdvisor reviews have been positive lately. Arrive early for a cocktail on their beautiful patio.

Black Ginger was enjoyable and the decor is fun, but it's not any better (and sometimes not as good) as the local Thai restaurants in the Boston area. I found the portions to be small and expensive.

Victoria is great for breakfast. The food and setting on the harbor were perfect when we visited in July and the prices were reasonable.

You'll love Orega. The food is innovative, the setting is lovely and Greg and his manager are the consummate hosts.

We've enjoyed Papillon Ivre the last few trips. It's an authentic French wine bar in St. Jean with small plates, a spectacular wine selection and Julie, the owner, who will treat you like family.

Le Jardin across from the airport is an excellent breakfast. Manapany is awesome but somewhat expensive. The location on the water is superb as is the food and presentation. Well worth doing at least once.

Two to consider are Santa Fe and Maya’s, maybe in place of Black Ginger for one. We echo Le Jardin for breakfast. Also nice to sit at Choisy (bakery) in the mornings.

We generally try to vary the day by day location more than your sequence does (e.g. your back to back St Jean nights and your sequence of Gustavia vs. other restaurants) and l'Esprit and Santa Fe are our only "must" restaurants... but since booking a day in advance constitutes very advance planning for us, what works for you may be very different...

We tried Les Jardin for breakfast after the great reviews on the forum and were very happy with it and felt the price was fair as well.
I'm interested in hearing your review of the new Sand Bar. I've seen a couple of reviews but not nearly as many as I would have expected.

Wow great inputs! Thanks ! Getting psyched now. Bags are out. We do like to move around the island each night. I will rethink it a little. Victoria’s for breakfast, great idea thanks. Anybody heard about old Victoria’s reopening? May give up BG for L’espirit if they don’t hate me...

Kevin, I read something recently on one of their social media sites that they'll now be opening in March. I was sad to read that.

Guenther, take a look at the Le Toiny (Jarad) reviews on Tripadvisor. I spoke too soon with my positive feedback - the most recent reviews have not been positive.

Jeanette, re Jarad, we had a great meal there in November for Restaurant Week. We sat at the chefs table at the kitchen. Friendly staff, great service (and they were packed) and delicious food. We loved Le Gaiac for a special night out and felt it was just as good...although a very different menu. But it was just one night.
oh and the chef, well....

C820D0E9-868A-4EB9-B942-D4898AB16FBE.jpeg