A funny story only in St. Barth story-

stbartshopper

Senior Insider
We are keeping everything anonymous in terms of names of shops and people. Today we were in one of our favorite jewelry stores in Gustavia. We have known the proprietors a long time. They told us earlier this year Sir ‘What’s His Name’ was in and with his wife chose about $15,000 Euros of jewelry to purchase. They said he gave his credit card which was from Coutts Bank in London. The card was denied. They told us he called his bank very upset about the denial. The bank told him that he had instructed them to deny any charges above a 20,000 Euro limit. The bank went on to tell him that there was a charge yesterday at the 20,000 Euro level at an establishment entitled Nikki Beach. He told the bank to remove the limit and approve the jewelry charge which was done. They told us he apologized to the owners of the jewelry store saying he just signed the bill at Nikki and didn’t look at it.

20,000 Euros at Nikki . . . what can one say?

It was 56 years ago today (or thereabouts) in Paris that a 21 y/o Paul wrote and the Beatles first recorded (1/29/64) the studio version of this. Before the release in March 1964, came the Beatles first US trip, which included Miami where Paul reconsidered the song's sentiment:

"Miami was incredible...there were all the lovely, gorgeous tanned girls. We did a photo session down by the beach and immediately asked them out. And MG Motors were trying to sell their convertibles down there, which was a perfect little Florida car, and lent us one each as a publicity thing. I remember meeting this rather nice girl and taking her out for dinner in this MG in the cool Florida night, palm trees swaying. You kidding? A Liverpool boy with this tanned beauty in my MG going out to dinner. It should have been 'Can Buy Me Love,' actually." Beatlesbooks.com

By way of perspective and if I do my math right, €20,000 to a billionaire such as Paul, is about equivalent to €600 to a borderline ultra high net worth (30 million), €100 to a borderline high net worth (5 million), and €20 to someone with a net worth of just 1 million struggling to get by... or about a dollar to a 40 y/o American of median net worth ($59,800)...

How does that song the Beatles covered go...