Part 7 - November 2019 Trip Report

lvbookworm

SBH Insider
On Wednesday we had 12:30 reservations at Nikki and, as with all days when we do lunch at Nikki, we had absolutely nothing else planned. It was another beautiful day with continued clear skies. The only time we had any significant rain all week was late evening or early morning showers. I came to look forward to that midnight rain, and it’s one of the things I miss most here at home in the desert. There is something so comforting about hearing water bouncing off the roof. It’s almost like there were a thousand little creatures up there wildly drumming away to their own tune. And then, as soon as the rain ends, a chorus of frogs begins to sing. The first time we visited SBH we stayed in Pt Milou, and I don’t remember hearing any frogs that whole week. On our second trip we rented a villa above St Jean, and one night after a hard rain we were quite alarmed to be awakened in the middle of the night to the strangest beeping noises we’d ever heard. It was SO LOUD! We naively reasoned it was some type of bird, and it wasn’t until the next morning that someone told us about the frogs. That first night we had to close up the windows because we couldn’t sleep. But now, years later, the frog song serves as a lullabye and I miss it when it isn’t there.

We arrived at the beach next to Nikki around 10:00, and after setting up our umbrella and chairs we enjoyed a quiet morning reading and daydreaming to the sound of the waves. By noon the area around us was starting to fill, so we grabbed a few essentials and headed over for lunch. The restaurant wasn’t nearly as crowded as it had been the previous Friday, but eventually by mid-afternoon all the tables were full. The audible level of music was considerably lower, and there were no patrons on the tables – at least not while we were there. We have decided that, for us, the Rosé Friday event is the perfect compromise between the absolute craziness of Sundays, and the low-key relaxation of the rest of the week.

We started with a bottle of Léoube rosé and toasted what would be our final Nikki lunch. Much like rain on a rooftop, we find that gazing out at the water from a table at Nikki has the ultimate calming effect. Fans of Kevin Costner may know what I’m talking about when I say we always have a “Clear the Mechanism” moment whenever we sink into one of their chairs. You can take a deep breath, and all your cares in the world seem to fade away.

5CE161B3-D0E8-4AB3-B02F-E63308AFC501.jpg

All week I had been dreaming of the grilled tuna entrée from our previous visit. So, being a creature of habit, I had a "do-over" when it came time to order. Kelly, on the other hand, is always the more brave, adventurous one when it comes to trying new things. He was very happy with his choice of kurobuta pork short ribs with ginger sauce, potatoes and green salad.

4A3AB08A-E4E8-4BFC-BB93-3447EC0A3E40.jpeg

When it was time to order dessert we didn’t even need to look at the menu. It was a unanimous decision – tarte citrone! And yes, it was just as good as (if not better than) the first time.

After lunch we returned to our chairs, happy to find our umbrella still upright and firmly rooted in the sand. Normally we take it down when we know we won’t be close by, but our previous success using the anchor bag was such that we both felt comfortable letting it stand. Besides, we had a straight view of our belongings from our table at Nikki so we knew we could easily run over to take it down if the wind kicked up. We decided a walk was needed after our large meal, and a leisurely stroll gave us the opportunity to check out a couple of the rental properties at the far end of the beach.

A couple of hours floating and swimming in the sea led to another hour or so floating in the pool at our villa. By the time the sun went down our desire to venture anywhere else was quite low. A quick call to Les Bananiers for takeout pizza was all it took to put another Netflix movie night in motion.

We went to bed remembering what a great day it had been, and hoping for dreams filled with rooftop drums.

A couple of hours floating and swimming in the sea led to another hour or so floating in the pool at our villa. By the time the sun went down our desire to venture anywhere else was quite low. A quick call to Les Bananiers for takeout pizza was all it took to put another Netflix movie night in motion.

We went to bed remembering what a great day it had been, and hoping for dreams filled with rooftop drums.

Poetry.

Thanks for your kind words - again. Just realized I forgot to post one of the two photos.

Done. Now I feel better!

The pitter patter on the metal rooftops is part of the experience. We here tree frogs in Pte. Milou each evening but in the morning we are also greeted by the call of roosters, which we don’t need to hear. The photos of the food at Nikki look divine!

I look forward to reading your posts. And agree that a Friday at Nikki works and is more relaxing than The Sunday madness.

we were quite alarmed to be awakened in the middle of the night to the strangest beeping noises we’d ever heard. It was SO LOUD! We naively reasoned it was some type of bird, and it wasn’t until the next morning that someone told us about the frogs.

Same here. First night, also above (and east) of St Jean. Wife thought that a burglar alarm was going off!

Reading this at work on a hectic Friday morning is good for my soul. You write a lovely trip report lvbookworm!

lvbookworm, you’re writing is very eloquent and joyful to read! I feel as if we are right there with you. Well done and thanks for sharing!

One year, on a solo St Barths trip; I stayed at Carl Gustaf, each room had their own plunge pool. Every night I would go out into the pool and be serenaded by the tree frogs, sometimes they would even be close enough to me to observe their little suction cupped toes and colorful eyes. I miss that sound!

One year, on a solo St Barths trip; I stayed at Carl Gustaf, each room had their own plunge pool. Every night I would go out into the pool and be serenaded by the tree frogs, sometimes they would even be close enough to me to observe their little suction cupped toes and colorful eyes. I miss that sound!

Linda . . . I can imagine a lovely “solo” visit to the Carl Gustaf, “back in the day!” (Of course, the Groupe Barriere incarnation promises to be exciting, as well.) The tree frogs, & images of their little suction toes & colorful eyes, in the gracious CG setting, bring a special Island note to the venue & your happy recollection. Fun to read!

Linda . . . I can imagine a lovely “solo” visit to the Carl Gustaf, “back in the day!” (Of course, the Groupe Barriere incarnation promises to be exciting, as well.) The tree frogs, & images of their little suction toes & colorful eyes, in the gracious CG setting, bring a special Island note to the venue & your happy recollection. Fun to read!
There is a villa on St Barts that has a vibe that is also exquisite. Has the St Barts sounds, wonderful views over the water, a beautiful and large pool, that's all I'm willing to reveal. Don't want to be charged more. We are lucky to have discovered St. Barts the way we did and lucky to have found the villa we love to stay at. Gustaf will be open when we return and hopefully they have retained the bar and sunset view.

I really enjoyed your trip reports. Thank you so much for posting. I never take the time, and I really wish I did. Reading yours makes our countdown even more exciting! We always have frogs behind the outside lights on the deck of our villa by the pool, and also by the dining area.