Carnival advice

GeorgeD

SBH Insider
We are coming for Carnival for the first time. We have been told that there are no vehicles in town after noon. When are vehicles allowed back in town? Any idea when the parade starts and ends? We were told there is a parking lot (somewhere???) and we are to walk into town. Does this sound correct and where might the parking lot be.
Any additional information would be most helpful.

George & Jody

The parking depends on when you arrive. Some people, who have two cars, park one in a paid lot, the day before and can easily leave. We have had to park clear up at Santa Fe and walked down and back up. Ugh!
Parking regulations are being enforced so parking haphazardly in the Public area and up the hills going out of Gustavia will probably be ticketed.
I might suggest a driver who drops off the group as close as possible to Gustavia and then that car will have to park a ways away- maybe even at say Marche U and find a ride with someone driving toward Town. and vice versa. Sounds crazy but parade day is probably the most busy day of the year. One of the best places to view the parade is having a reservation at Repaire, drinking mojitos, enjoying frites, steak tartare and other delicious food and watching the world go by your ‘front window with the harbor in the background.

There may be a shuttle bus from St Jean to/from Gustavia. If there is, then details will appear closer to Carnaval.

Hey George- I think Le Select is the best viewing area. All the participants stop to perform in front of there.

Thanks Andy
We tend to be fans of the bar directly across the street, but your point is well taken. Everything happens at that corner.
On another matter, you have scorned Pittsburgh and after multiple invitations, you have refused to come. Given the murder rate in Philadelphia is it time to flee?
George & Jody

we always go to Le Repaire for a long nice lunch, then at 3 the parade comes by and they always stop in front so its always fun! there are shuttle buses that will bring you from st. Jean parking lots into town and bring you back to your car afterwards, so no problems.

carnaval.jpg

Our best Carnival day ever was sitting on an almost empty Gouvenor beach with Champagne and Paninis...��

[FONT=georgia,serif]Where do the buses pick you up and let you off on Carnival day? [/FONT]
[FONT=georgia,serif]They pick you up at U Marcket's parking and let you off at the dock of public.[/FONT]
What time does all driving stop in the town on Carnival day?
Traffic will be blocked from 1:00 pm.
When does driving reopen on Carnival day?
At 6:00pm
How late does Carnival last?
What time is the parade? And how long does it last?
The parade will start at 2:30pm and can last until 6:00pm

Hope to have answered all your questions, I remain at your disposal for any further information. Regards,

Where do the buses pick you up and let you off on Carnival day?
They pick you up at U Marcket's parking and let you off at the dock of public.
What time does all driving stop in the town on Carnival day?
Traffic will be blocked from 1:00 pm.
When does driving reopen on Carnival day?
At 6:00pm
How late does Carnival last?
What time is the parade? And how long does it last?
The parade will start at 2:30pm and can last until 6:00pm

Hope to have answered all your questions, I remain at your disposal for any further information. Regards,

couple of thoughts on your info:

You are correct on where to be picked up by the buses to be transported into town.

parade does not actually get to le repaire ( its first official stop) until around 3.

highly unlikely that any shops would be open in Gustavia the day of carnaval. elsewhere on the island, it may be a different story.

Oh my, we arrive on 2/23 and 2/25 is my wife's Birthday.
I have a feeling she is going to want to watch some of this.

Thanks for the reply!

Scott