Things Remembered and No Longer There

Does anyone remember the name of a little restaurant or maybe it was just a bar that was on the left side coming from Lorient--maybe in the Marigo bay area. it was almost in the water and had lots of tropical foliage around it.
You must be remembering the Marigot Bay Club . . . awesome nights there -- full of great memories.

Lafayette Club a very fond memory.
Certainly fond memories . . . LOL -- also recollections of "sticker shock!" Exclusive and expensive, as I used to tell people who asked about it. Pale pink coloring in the wind-blown sheeting that sheltered patrons from the sun . . . and deliberately slow food service, with glamour in fashion & beautiful models, promoting sales of expensive bottles of champagne as long waits for food delivery passed. The property's still for sale . . . if anyone wants to make an offer!

I also miss the early evening Normandie gatherings for wine and cheese where you and Wendy warmly welcomed a merry band of brothers and sisters comprised of island locals and visitors.

I also miss the early evening Normandie gatherings for wine and cheese where you and Wendy warmly welcomed a merry band of brothers and sisters comprised of island locals and visitors.

Agree with Amy,
FACT: 20+ years of coming to this island....my good friend Dennis Carlton is the finest host (and nicest guy) ever to hold a gathering on St Barth
Was this about 2006, Normandie grand opening?
2230194477_8d5a86eef0_b (2).jpg

Merci to Amy & Jeff!

Wendy & I have enjoyed — and continue to enjoy — happy lives on SBH, and our years as proprietors at The Normandie form an especially important part of our memories. The Normandie receptions are a vital part of them . . . incredibly personal bonds found in mixing local island friends, Forum friends & other visitors from around the world, & hotel guests who were in awe of being included in such company. What fun times they were!

AND, Jeff . . . I’ll forever be indebted to you for finding a picture of me when 30 lbs lighter!

Merci to Amy & Jeff!

Wendy & I have enjoyed — and continue to enjoy — happy lives on SBH, and our years as proprietors at The Normandie form an especially important part of our memories. The Normandie receptions are a vital part of them . . . incredibly personal bonds found in mixing local island friends, Forum friends & other visitors from around the world, & hotel guests who were in awe of being included in such company. What fun times they were!

AND, Jeff . . . I’ll forever be indebted to you for finding a picture of me when 30 lbs lighter!
You could always get there again. With your enthusiasm and joy of life; all you have to do is walk round trip in either direction from CEC. Or drive to Gouvenour and walk roundtrip up to Sante Fe. Or find a dog that loves to walk. Many other choices . One is the George Burns diet. You are old enough to remember Burns And Gracie Allen. I once got overweight and someone told me I was fat. At about the same time, on the radio on my way home from work I heard this diet advice. Eat all you want from the time you get up, until 4 pm. Then not another bite until the next morning. It works and is pretty easy to follow. Good luck and thanks again for throwing me the Normandie lifeline in our time of need.

Kevin just reminded me of Au Port. Before the new post office was built. Sitting on the veranda eating the best lamb medallions in the world.

Also miss the cocktail lounge for sunset drinks with Bartender extraordinaire Jacky at the original Carl Gustaf.

They have workers swarming all over the grounds and buildings to prepare for the reopening

Chez Pompei......part restaurant, part gallery.

Does anyone remember this place? I have the vaguest memory of having lunch there in 1994. I think it was somewhere between Marigot and Toiny and I *thought* it was high up on a hill looking down on the waves/water. But I'm not sure such a location exists!!

If anyone has any details or photos, I'd love to hear/see them!

I *think* that Chez Pompi is on the left, a one-story building between Grand Cul de Sac and Toiny. I never dined there, but that's where it is pegged in my memory.

La Cremaillere, anyone else remember it ?
Definitely do, Nancy . . . one of the first places where Wendy & I ate on SBH. Wonderful, decadent, rich, traditional French cooking. Long before Maya came along & forever changed the culinary scene.