Things Remembered and No Longer There

How about the parrot at Trois Forces? O’Corail- is it coming back? PR’s Italian restaurant at Manypany pre remodel- was it called - Fellini maybe?

Definitely do, Nancy . . . one of the first places where Wendy & I ate on SBH. Wonderful, decadent, rich, traditional French cooking. Long before Maya came along & forever changed the culinary scene.

We dined there on our 1st trip when staying just below Castelet at Bertrand Lentz's place. Just remember very dark interior, probably rack of lamb or chops, creme caramel.

We dined there on our 1st trip when staying just below Castelet at Bertrand Lentz's place. Just remember very dark interior, probably rack of lamb or chops, creme caramel.
”Dark,” yes . . . smoky (as in from-the-kitchen) & romantic. Definitely crepe caramel! One of the places that said to me, when advising that they didn’t take credit cards . . . “Oh! You’re a guest of Brook Lacour — we’ll send her the bill!”

It was the start of Sibarth, & Brook cajoled & charmed for nearly 40 years in villa rentals. Actually, much more — Brook & husband Roget were foundational in the best of what we know today in terms of island standards of tourism.

Heading back for our 40 th year in February. Our memories of days gone by
The shack under the tree across the runway which was the “airport “ and renting a Moke or Guergel from Remy. My dad had to get out of the car to walk up hill to Castelet because car didn’t have the power to get 4 of us up the hill.
Shopping at Sodexa in St Jean . Mostly frozen meats that were rabbit goats etc. But they had jambon fume and fromage so we were all set.
Buying hydroponic tomatoes at Le Cave
The ladies of Guadaloupe selling fresh veggie in town
The Rotisserie in town kept us fed with take out and watching her little girl grow up.
Le Beach Club beside Eden Roc and Le Pelican. Sad day when it burned.
I love this thread and realizing how many wonderful places have disappeared.
Very few hotels rooms then . We were told 63 rooms on the island.
Thank you for the memories. Looking so forward to getting back .

In reference to Bart’s question about Chez Pompi and Kevin’s comment—we had lunch there a couple of times in the 90s. It was on the left side of the road as one headed from Marigot towards Toiny. Pompi was a character—-a prolific artist and the little restaurant was intended to showcase his bright and colorful paintings. I don’t remember a water view but the house is still there. It would be easy to stop and check it out.

it is always fun to read a “nostalgia” thread. Most of the places mentioned are in our memory bank. And I am sure the new places on the island will form a beloved memory album for those visiting now.

. . . another ancient memory -- La Gloriette Restaurant when it was operated by a fellow named Dom, who was brother-in-law of Albert . . . then the proprietor of nearby Restaurant Flamboyant. After a great afternoon in conversation with Dom, in early days of the restaurant, he gave me a napkin on which he wrote "Free Drink," signed his name, and told me to take it to Restaurant Flamboyant. Which I did for dinner that evening.

Albert, going along with Dom's sense of humor, of course gave me a free drink, and as I was leaving after dinner, gave me a napkin -- "Your turn free drink." While Dom ran La Gloriette & Flamboyant was open, the back & forth continued during each island visit . . . to much laughter among the three of us.

After a few years (the period was early 80s), Albert came to be the owner / operator of La Gloriette (later adding the adjacent "Cocoloba") . . . and Dom moved to Gustavia, opening a small "restaurant" called Chez Dom. As I recall, it was on the street just above Le Select . . . and to call it a restaurant is something of an overstatement. It was principally an open window for service (a bar with pizza and limited pasta selections), and a few tall tables in front.

These were the "Sorry No Telephone" days . . . communication relied heavily on the "coconut telegraph," and locals got together each evening at one or more of a few places to drink & gossip. The Normandie was one of them . . . with its thatched roof bar and above-ground pool set in a jungle-like thicket of tropical plants & palm trees. For a time, there even was a restaurant that specialized in couscous.

Happy memories.

I think that Chez Dom was located where the Victoire boutique is today, and where Café Victoire was next door. It was gone prior to the creation of my first Resto List circa 2004/2005.

I ate at chez dom, the food was very good, there were no tourists in the restaurant besides me, the rest were all locals, but the place was always full. did Dom work at au regal later on?

In reference to Bart’s question about Chez Pompi and Kevin’s comment—we had lunch there a couple of times in the 90s. It was on the left side of the road as one headed from Marigot towards Toiny. Pompi was a character—-a prolific artist and the little restaurant was intended to showcase his bright and colorful paintings. I don’t remember a water view but the house is still there. It would be easy to stop and check it out.

Thank you!!