Things Remembered and No Longer There

So nice to see you here again, Voosh! And, great recollections . . . particularly remembering that un-paved road from Lurin down to St. Jean!

Gate 8..In transit I think.

Phil just said it was gate 10 for In Transit. Merci.

I see that sign every day.

Gate 10 Revised.jpg

I see that sign every day.

View attachment 51121
That’s so funny, Kevin! I remember the awe when you came into possession of it . . . and the “cloak-&-dagger” intrigue that brought this icon to your custodial care (for generations!)

What happened? How did “In Transit” at SXM go from the good ol’ days to what we see today? In the inimitable song of Edith Piaf, “[FONT=&quot]Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien.”[/FONT]

Exquisite, Izzy . . . many thanks for once again supplying the coloratura that brings to life the posts of our Forum community! It especially was fun for me to see & hear because, through a mutual friend, I much enjoyed a very small acquaintance with “Johnny.” We were far from friends, but the “nodding acquaintance” & courteous handshakes he offered were earmarks of a gentleman.

Pianist and composer Charles Darden......tickling the ivories at the Guanahani back in 1997, leading stellar performances of La Chorale De Bons Choeurs, and serving as Music Director of the Anglican Church. He had so many talents. A great loss with his passing in 2013.

Back in the early 1990's there was a small family run bakery on the left hand side of the road from Colombier. We were staying in Villa Doarde and I would run down and back up for croissants and baguettes. It was open for a few years.

The original home of La Petite Colombe Bakery, I believe.

The original Marine Service and its owners, whose names I do not recall, but for Captain Phillipe.

Learning the hard way (zillions of three point turns in a Moke, in the dark) that the street beside the original Tamarin came to a screeching dead end after about 1000 yards.

Pianist and composer Charles Darden......tickling the ivories at the Guanahani back in 1997, leading stellar performances of La Chorale De Bons Choeurs, and serving as Music Director of the Anglican Church. He had so many talents. A great loss with his passing in 2013.

We enjoyed the concerts at the Anglican Church when we visited in Novembers at Thanksgiving, I think Charles successor whose last name was Dern died a few months after one of the "Thanksgiving" concerts we attended, I don't remember her first name, but she died quite young...my perspective now...of a stroke.

We enjoyed the concerts at the Anglican Church when we visited in Novembers at Thanksgiving, I think Charles successor whose last name was Dern died a few months after one of the "Thanksgiving" concerts we attended, I don't remember her first name, but she died quite young...my perspective now...of a stroke.

Her name was Shirley Dern.

Reverend Charlie Vere Nicoll at the pulpit of the Anglican Church in Gustavia. His messages were always so uplifting and comforting.

Missy, this very thing was mentioned this morning in the Idalmi shop where I was getting my nails done.

Missy, this very thing was mentioned this morning in the Idalmi shop where I was getting my nails done.

I hope God doesn't read this forum, but Rev. Charlie was one of the main reasons I went to church on St Barth. :angel1:

We have been coming to St. Barts for 37 or so years and you are mentioning places I never knew existed. I love this site.