Advice Needed for Villa Paradis vs Le Perchoir

lvbookworm

SBH Insider
Hi everyone,

It never fails - once I start writing trip reports I immediately start planning another trip. But I guess this is probably a normal occurrence for most of you, yes?

We are in the process of narrowing down some options for late May/early June of this year. I know that construction is prevalent and hard to avoid, but I'm mainly concerned about line-of-site large cranes and beep-beep-beep/ack-ack-ack types of noise. Our two finalists are Le Perchoir (picture 1 - I think I have this location correct near Flamands but please correct me if i'm wrong), and Villa Paradis (picture 2 - on the road between St Jean and Lorient).

Construction possibilities aside, here are my perceived pros/cons:

Le Perchoir
Pros - heated pool and hot jacuzzi, shaded deck near the pool, a/c and screens throughout, rental car included with weekly rate.
Cons - no late afternoon sun (although this could be a pro), possible major construction just below the villa and near Cheval Blanc

Villa Paradis
Pros - hearing the waves, sidewalk access to St Jean/Nikki/Shops, sunset views,
Cons - slightly higher rate, no car included, a/c in bedrooms only, no jacuzzi or pool heat (we got REALLY spoiled with the pool heat at Villa Manon!)

My preference is definitely leaning toward Le Perchoir, but I'm very concerned about construction. Does anyone have any knowledge about what is happening in that area?

I'll appreciate any advice the experts here can provide, so thanks in advance!

Image 1-14-20 at 11.25 AM.jpeg
Image 1-14-20 at 11.24 AM.jpeg

The heated pool is very important to us. Hearing and watching the surf is a plus which Paradis has but it is on a main road for us is a negative. AC only in bedrooms is fine- we never use it outside of where we sleep.
The rate difference and with or without a rental car you will not remember in years to come.
I wonder about wind which keeps mosquitoes away. Paradis should always have a breeze- don’t know about Perchoir. This could be a decisive factor.
Can’t comment on construction but there isn’t much area around Paradis on which to build. Lots of work being done in the Flamands area however.
Either location look like good choices.

You may have already done this, but just in case you aren’t aware of the feature...in the menu bar above to the far right of the “Site Directory” option, is a white search box. Type the villa name in it and you’ll get previous forum info on it if there is any. Enjoy planning your trip. ��

You may have already done this, but just in case you aren’t aware of the feature...in the menu bar above to the far right of the “Site Directory” option, is a white search box. Type the villa name in it and you’ll get previous forum info on it if there is any. Enjoy planning your trip. ��

Thanks Tiffany - this is indeed a very useful feature! For Paradis many of the comments were pre-Irma, and search results for information on current construction around Flamands has been limited at best. One post from a few months ago was discussing a rather large project just above the bottom of the hill where you make a left turn before Cheval Blanc. I'm not familiar enough with that area to know if that particular project would be large enough for the noise to "waft" up the hill to Perchoir. I was just hoping someone on-island now would be able to comment and give some advice. I have reached out to both villa owners for their input, but have not yet heard anything back.

hello Lvbookworm,
I have stayed in both Villa's recently. I am villa promiscuous. Pleased to provide my opinion, having stayed there.

I would recommend that you confirm Villa Le Perchoir has air conditioning in the Living Room. Last time I was there in May, 2019 it did not. Only air conditioning was the Bedroom. Always a nice brezze up on the hill top, however, just do not want you disappointed in expectation if air conditioning in Living Room does not exist.

My personal opinion, I would choose Le Perchoir over Paradis. The new heated pool, heated jacuzzi, outside shower and extreme privacy all lean toward Le Perchoir in my humble opinion. The comanding view from Le Perchoir is phenominal. I drove by there yesterday, no imminent construction local. The work going on Flamands Beach is no issue. Upside to Paradis is the sound of the surf. Happy Villa shopping!

Thank you Tiffany- had forgotten about the Villa search option. Given that Lvbookworm has only found reviews maybe from pre Irma, maybe a big sticky note under the Villa... section saying-“Don’t forget to review your Villa” for other Forum members to read as they make their selections with instructions how to do so- if this hasn’t already been posted?

They both look wonderful, you have a tough decision ahead of you.

As hopper points out, a heated pool is really nice. I don't know if it's even a requirement in May/June. I also seem to remember reading that most heated pools are only heated in the winter months.

I might question the road noise with Paradis. I am not sure if I would question breezes with Perchoir as it sits on a little knoll.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks to all of you for thoughts and comments in helping with our decision. We have put down a deposit on Le Perchoir and will keep Paradis on our list for trips to come. Now - let the countdown begin!

A late response, but better than never..... we have stayed at Le Perchoir 7 times (that says a lot), the most recent November 2019. The view is spectacular. With regards to your questions 1) the "ack ack ack" machines are all over the island, so would just be resigned to hear some construction noise. Despite Perchoir being up high the surf can still be easily heard, especially at night, so construction noise will travel similarly if present. 2) Yes, you have the location correct 3) The pool is heated and generally runs between 28C and 30C, but the hot tub can be set to 38C 4) AC and screens are only in the bedroom, but the AC works great, and we've never missed AC in the living room/kitchen. We keep the sliders open pretty much at all times when we are at the villa (except closed at night while sleeping) and bugs/mosquitos have only been a minor issue. You will love it, if you have any specific questions holler.

Woodr35 - thank you so much for your input. One of the reviews I read (perhaps it was yours?) mentioned being able to hear the surf, and I was surprised that it would be possible. Hearing the waves is always an added bonus but, as you mentioned, could easily be a double-edged sword with construction noise. We're very excited about our decision!