Orthography Question

If you're a Queen fan then you pronounce Moët as Mow-ay, as in "She keeps her Moët and Chandon in a pretty cabinet". The correct pronunciation is Mow-ett, and yes, I know why, but I'll leave room for someone else to play.
Very interesting, Kevin . . . I didn’t know that it’s Mow-ett. Do tell why!

How about Cristal Champagne? At Nikki and Le Ti they say ‘chris stall’ not like the English crystal ‘chris tull.’ Either way the price for it is way beyond us!

How about Cristal Champagne? At Nikki and Le Ti they say ‘chris stall’ not like the English crystal ‘chris tull.’

well, they're French and it's a French word. in French, syllables are broken differently than in English.

the syllables general end on the vowel sound, not the consonant sound.

so Kree - stal. not Kris - tal. plus, French has much less accentuation of syllables than in French. so Kree and stal are equally accentuated versus the heavy accentuation of Kris in English.

Such a good group here at SBH! Yes, it is pronounced Mow-ett because they are of Dutch decent, making Champagne in, well, Champagne. And yes he married a Chandon. Class dismissed!!!!

Btw, returning to original subject of OP (moi :nerd:) the process of turning L’Orient into Lorient is called agglutination. Same word French and English.
It means glueing disparate parts into one.
I discovered this thanks to Kevin’s Licorne post in resto section.
The etymology of Licorne (unicorn) suggests it came from the agglutination of the Latin “unicorno” with the article “L”. Just like Lorient.
Voilà.

Thanks, Cass. I sure hope I can retain this knowledge; You never know...I may find myself on Jeopardy one day. :wink2:

Btw, returning to original subject of OP (moi :nerd:) the process of turning L’Orient into Lorient is called agglutination. Same word French and English.
It means glueing disparate parts into one.
I discovered this thanks to Kevin’s Licorne post in resto section.
The etymology of Licorne (unicorn) suggests it came from the agglutination of the Latin “unicorno” with the article “L”. Just like Lorient.
Voilà.
Great information, Hank . . . I love language. Not sure, however, that I’ll remember it as there probably aren’t too many occasions to use it!

Now I’m going to be giving a suspicious look to every word which starts with ‘l’, LOL.

Agglutination en français

• Lille : le nom de la ville provient de l'agglutination de l'isle. De même en flamand la ville se nomme Rijsel, qui provient de l'agglutination de ter ijs(s)el5.
  • Lorient : le nom de la ville provient de l'agglutination de l'orient5.