Orthography Question

cassidain

Senior Insider
I’ve noticed that some of us are wont to spell Lorient as “L’orient”

Just wondering where that comes from.

Belief it is correct as in L’Esprit. I don’t know why, just a guess.

from the Wiki:

Concerning the city of Lorient in Western France

Attestée sous la forme Lorient en 1670.Le nom de la ville provient de celui du Soleil de l'Orient, premier navire construit dans les chantiers de la Compagnie des Indes en 1669. Les ouvriers ont donné au chantier le nom du navire qui, par contraction, est devenu rapidement « L'Orient ». Le lieu conservera ce nom qui deviendra Lorient[24].

Perhaps original settlers came from Lorient ? Even so, it’s been “Lorient” since the seventeenth century.

I have seen this spelling pop up different times...I have no idea why that happens. Maybe now with directional arrows popping up hither, thither and yon, the correct spelling will take hold.

The spelling was "L'Orient" 'til sometime around turn of the Century (or later). I always used the L'Orient spelling until Ellen advised that the apostrophe had been dropped in local usage.

OK, here's a good one. How do you pronounce Moet (and Chandon).

Three part question:

1) How do you pronounce Moet?

2) Why is pronounced this way?

3) Why was Chandon added to the name of the Champagne?

The winner gets, hmmm, not sure what the winner gets?

If you're a Queen fan then you pronounce Moët as Mow-ay, as in "She keeps her Moët and Chandon in a pretty cabinet". The correct pronunciation is Mow-ett, and yes, I know why, but I'll leave room for someone else to play.

OK, here's a good one. How do you pronounce Moet (and Chandon).

Three part question:

1) How do you pronounce Moet?

2) Why is pronounced this way?

3) Why was Chandon added to the name of the Champagne?

The winner gets, hmmm, not sure what the winner gets?

I believe I remember that Chandon married into the Moet family...oui? Mid 1970's, if memory serves me. I'll wait to go to the Google for facts.

And I just learned that they hid French Resistance fighters, munitions and arms in their cellars in Champagne during WWII.