Travel Day and 1st Dinner January 12, 2020

dadto6

Senior Insider
Arrival travels from Washington Dulles to Paradise went reasonably well considering 11-travelers in our group with a 5-month old and another celebrating her 3rd consecutive Birthday on St. Barts. I demand that everyone in our family travel light, so “carry on only” makes the connection much easier. We had to separate into two groups to make things work this trip. One on St. Barths Commuter, one on Winair, due to inadequate availability when I booked several months ago. I heard there was a big wedding that took up the prime time seats across the chanel on St. Baths Commuter.

Obviously, Anita, Betty, Babies and I traveled on Commuter, everyone else on Winair. Trip to St. Barts went smoothly, we were only in St. Maarten 20-minutes from deplane United and wheels up on St. Baths Commuter. However, the high winds made it a harrowing experience for some of the other travelers which were not accustomed to rough flying. I can not stress enough our pleasure with St. Barths Commuter service! They handed me and the girls efficiently from deplane at United to arrival in Paradise.

Got one big van and MINI Countryman, stopped at the grocery store and settled into our Villa.

Enjoyed a marvelous group dinner at L’Esprit last night. So much has already been said about this great establishment lead by the Executive Chef.

Returning home to the Villa, it was mesmerizing to sit on the deck listening to the wind howling and illuminated by nearly a full moon. Life is grand.
On a side note, love the new street signs.

Ahhhh St. Barts!

Wow what a great first day and night! L’Esprit is amazing. I am feeling the St. Barth love sitting in my kitchen in Long Island. Will return in May. Looking forward to the new street signs. 20 minutes wheels up might be a new record!

Glad all has gone well for such a large group. Does everyone dine together at each restaurant or are there babysitters involved?

Hi Bill,
We all dine together, family time. No cell phones and lots of spirited conversation, as it should be. Babies are well entertained by all of us, we are the baby sitters, so as not to infringe upon other diners. When everyone shares in the duty, makes for a special time together.
I make reservations to be considerate of the restaurants and staff. We will be at Le Sereno tonigh to dine and listen to Soley perform. Should be a grand time.
Last nights dinner at Le Repaire was excellent. Afterward, we all enjoyed a stroll around the harbor viewing the bobbing Yachts due to waves caused by the high winds. Still blowing strong this morning as I type.

Thanks for your posts. I'm paying special attention to all your details as I'll be having my first full family trip next month. How was the SXM transfer for your family flying on WinAir? We'll be arriving from 3 different US cities and we couldn't get SBC tickets, so 5 of us will be traveling on WinAir to and from SBH. It occurred to me that I've never done this in the new SXM configuration and we'll be arriving on three separate flights from the U.S. This may be the first time I use a VIP service.

I am interested to hear about your dinner at Le Sereno. The recent reviews have been glowing. Enjoy every minute of this special time with your family.

p.s. Related to another post - did you bring your own soccer ball? :cool:

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the compliment, but I am far from keeping it all together LOL
Bob Gelles

Hi Jeanette,
Regarding Winair, the upside is there planes carry more passengers each circuit. However, make sure you have all the i dotted and t crossed, I have found them inflexible and indifferent. Not as considerate as SBC in my humble opinion. Francis at SBC is just like having VIP service at no additional cost. I always tip him handsomely for his exempliary services.
Le Sereno restaurant Al Mare on the schedule tonight. Le Sereno is always in our trip dining rotation. Last time we were there in November, it was awesome and time before and time before, get the drift!
Yes, we brought our own ball, deflated of course with small hand pump. The youngsters are quite proficient in their clubs at home. Two of them are playing tonight at 5:30 as guests on the local St. Barths team.

. . . we brought our own ball, deflated of course with small hand pump. The youngsters are quite proficient in their clubs at home. Two of them are playing tonight at 5:30 as guests on the local St. Barths team.

SBH is a great venue for visitors for many reasons, including the openness of locals to including folks — including children — in their activities. What a memorable experience your soccer players will have!

Sorry to change from soccer; I am curious how the body surfing has been at any of the beaches. Obviously high winds.

The seas have been quite rough with very big waves. Challenging and I think dangerously so.

No surfers yesterday or today at Lorient. Waves not rhythmic and very erratic since primarily driven by the wind. That says it all.