Part 1 - November 2019 Trip Report

lvbookworm

SBH Insider
I simply cannot believe two months have passed since our early November trip to SBH. I guess that’s what happens when you plan a vacation that immediately turns into Thanksgiving break travel, early December holiday parties, Christmas travel and New Year’s. All of sudden it’s 2020!

We started our journey November 6[SUP]th[/SUP] with a Southwest flight from Las Vegas to Ft. Lauderdale. The next morning we took a 10:00 Jet Blue flight to SXM and transferred to Saint Barth Commuter for the last leg. With carry-on bags only we were met right off the bus by an SBC representative and whisked through immigration to security for immediate departure on an earlier flight. Sweet! I think we spent 20 minutes tops in SXM. This itinerary ended up being extremely economical. We were able to use SWA points, Marriott points for the overnight hotel, an inexpensive $99 for Jet Blue, and $89 for SBC. If only it didn’t take so long! I usually avoid red-eye flights but am seriously considering looking into that option for our next trip. Yes, we risk arriving dead-tired. But perhaps an extra-long beach nap would be an acceptable antidote.

After picking up our Suzuki Jimny at Turbé we made a quick stop at Marché U for essentials. I was happy to find plenty of Coca Light (as opposed to Coke Zero) on the shelves. The initial visit always takes far longer than needed because we have such a good time perusing each aisle to search out unique items not available at home. The cheese counter alone is a veritable candy store! An hour later we continued on to Villa Manon. The villa’s driveway up and over a very steep hill in Columbier was a fun first adventure, and the view cresting that hill was spectacular! How exciting to know that we’d get to experience this magical place for 9 days.

I’m one of those travelers who must unpack and put everything away (with my suitcase stored out of sight) before being able to completely relax and unwind. But not this time! I immediately dug out my swimsuit and dove into the heated infinity pool. (I know…some of you are thinking “why bother with the suit?”) It was absolute heaven, and I was able to get a jump-start on my vacation sunburn.

We had originally made a 9:00 reservation at Les Bananiers, but with our early arrival we knew we’d be hungry LONG before then. I attempted to call to change the reservation, but the combination of an abundance of background noise in the restaurant and my rusty french made for a confusing conversation. Hoping that they understood we decided to head over at 7:30 to score an open table. Upon arrival they seemed to know who we were and that we had called, so all was well. After a celebratory “first night” toast with a glass of wine I had a simple green salad and pizza campagnarde (which was even more glorious than I remembered). Hubby enjoyed an appetizer of tuna tartare with thai scents and guacamole, and the mahi-mahi with vegetables, coconut milk and jasmine rice. The restaurant wasn’t overly busy so we had the opportunity to have a nice conversation with our waiter. I enjoy being able to practice my French, but I know I’m slow and I never want to take up the staff’s time when they’re trying to wait on other customers. I was thankful that our waiter was so gracious to oblige as it gave me a chance to dust off my skills on our first night. It was getting late, and the past two days of travel were beginning to catch up with us. Regretfully we decided to pass on dessert with a promise to return another night for their irresistible banana crumble.

Once we were back at the villa I was reminded that I had neglected to unpack before dinner. Ugh! Oh well – that immediate dip in the pool was well worth an unavoidable 30 minute bedtime delay to feather my nest for the week. Perhaps I’ll have to make this a new standard procedure on future trips? Hmm...we’ll see.

With feathering now complete, it was time for day number one to come to an end with lights out and happy dreams.

. . . If only it didn’t take so long! I usually avoid red-eye flights but am seriously considering looking into that option for our next trip. Yes, we risk arriving dead-tired. But perhaps an extra-long beach nap would be an acceptable antidote.

Having traveled between the West Coast & SBH many times in past years, & also disliking redeye flights, I will tell you that I came to be comfortable with the routine — out of SFO or LAX about 10 or 11 PM with an AlevePM . . . into JFK or MIA around 6 - 7 AM. With a reasonably short layover in changing flights & quick change (carry-on luggage) to flight from SXM to SBH, I generally was able to get to my usual seat at La Gloriette in time for lunch. A swim afterwards, followed by a nap . . . I then was able to enjoy an early evening Maya’s dinner before a solid night of sleep (sometimes punctuated by pounding rain on the tin roof, which served to welcome me “home!”).

Give it a try!

Love your reporting......as for flying from the West; it definitely is more challenging. We moved to Denver a year ago; and have decided the red eye is the best way to go (as you said, Dennis)......we leave in about a week and a half (who’s counting!), and fly from Denver - Charlotte- SXM - St Barths ; tired, I’m sure; but happy, I’m sure too!!!