Various VIP service options at SXM/SBH for first time visitor

Bostonmom

SBH Member
Hello there! It's our first trip to the island, and I have a couple of logistics questions! I am traveling solo with my son. Has anyone had positive or negative experiences with Winair's own VIP service ("Fivestars") to help with the transfer process in and out of SXM? I am particularly concerned with the process of connecting at SXM as we have a relatively short layover before our Winair flight to SBH, and there is a chance that I will have one checked bag. We land on American Airlines at 2:20 and are booked on the last available Winair flight at 3:50. Does Winair give any preference to their own VIP service? Or do folks recommend going with some of the others mentioned on this forum (Premium VIP, St. Barth Services)? We are traveling in a little over a week and would appreciate any insight!

Also, a related question - is it normal protocol for the VIP services to collect your bag AND your passport at your villa/hotel and meet you at the airport? This sounds lovely and concerning at the same time!

We always fly Winair and use Premium IV. On your departure day, Vincent picks up your passports and luggage at your villa, then you meet him a little while later at the airport. I highly recommend him.

Our two Winair VIP experiences, on trips in the last two years, was excellent. We used the service upon landing at SXM, on Delta. This included the January after the hurricanes. From the time we landed to boarding the Winair flight was 30 minutes; bypassing some lengthy lines. Well worth it, but would discourage checked bags if feasible-don’t know how they handle that piece.

To me, one of the primary reasons in using a VIP service is having your checked bags managed without having to go through Immigration and the long security line. If you don't have checked bags, then you can take the In Transit route which is significantly faster.

SXM is still somewhat chaotic post-Irma. From my recent experiences, a 90-minute window with checked bags is risky without a VIP service. The service will be able to get your checked bag quickly for you.

I am flying from BOS and have a 1 hr. 13 minute connection on WinAir without checked bags and I won't be using a VIP service unless t he weather forecast looks bad and there's a chance of a delay.

Good luck and enjoy your first trip with your son.

If this is your first time traveling through SXM to SBH with a tight window I would recommend some type of expedited service through SXM if you are checking bags. Our last visit (almost a year ago) through SXM was absolutely crazy (think 50lbs of stuff in a 5lb bag). From some past threads, the second level of SXM does not appear to be getting fixed anytime soon. Even if it was fixed, it can still be crazy on the weekends.

Premium IV help prevent a my wife from murdering me in the middle of SXM. Tradewinds prevented another murder on our trip back (we elected to fly back through SJU).

If we were taking a trip this year, I would most likely be going through SXM both ways and booking expedited travel in both directions with Permium IV.

We highly recommend Vincent at PremiumIV. He’s the best and a true pleasure to deal with!

Our experience last year with the WinAir VIP service for arrival at SXM and departure to SBH was excellent. They showed photos of our baggage as they recovered it from AA and took it to WinAir departure. Did not use it for the SBH-SXM end-wish we had.

We have used St. Barth's Services for 10+ years--they are excellent! We do always check bags but after checking them on the AA flight to SXM, we don't see them again until either the airport in St. Barth's or our villa because they take care of them. If they are not on the Winair or SBC plane with us, they find them and deliver them to the villa. I
highly recommend them. And on your departure day, yes, they do come pick up your bags along with your passports and flight itineraries and get them checked and on to your flight in SXM to wherever you are going. We retrieve our passports when we get the St. Barth's airport with only our carry-ons. And if there are problems, they take care of finding a place to stay in SXM, or getting us on the ferry--whatever it takes! Takes most of the stress out of the trip down and back! I wouldn't do it without them anymore!

Thank you! We will definitely book a VIP service. I am glad it has been so helpful to you in the past!! :laughing-cry: