"In transit" procedure from SXM to SBH post hurricane

caribcarol

SBH Member
We will be flying a St Barth Commuter scheduled flight this Saturday from SXM to SBH. What is the procedure now? I do know we should keep our boarding pass to SXM. Are there signs to follow? Thanks.

Generally, you go thru customs, collect your bag and check in with SBH. Have you purchased Premium IV or VIP Premium Services thru SBH? If so, either will meet you and literally wave you through all of the red tape.
Bon Voyage!

Hopper, that hasn't been my experience over the last two years. There's no need to go through Customs or grab your luggage when flying St Barth Commuter to SBH.

I've done this three times over the last two years flying SBC and their service was fantastic. They'll meet you after you deplane and take the shuttle bus to the terminal. As you approach the line to the terminal, they'll call out your name, hand you a boarding pass and direct you to stay left and take the In Transit route to your gate. You'll need to go through a first "checkpoint" to show your credentials and then through Security to have your bags scanned and passport checked.

If you checked luggage, SBC fetches it for you and your luggage is placed on your flight to SBH. They typically ask you to tie yellow ribbons on your luggage to make it easy to spot.

The most important thing to remember is STAY LEFT in the terminal, look for the St. Barth Commuter representative and avoid the L-O-N-G immigration line to the right.

Jeanette described the procedure perfectly. 3-days and we will be going through the process once again, God willing.

Hopper, that hasn't been my experience over the last two years. There's no need to go through Customs or grab your luggage when flying St Barth Commuter to SBH.

I've done this three times over the last two years flying SBC and their service was fantastic. They'll meet you after you deplane and take the shuttle bus to the terminal. As you approach the line to the terminal, they'll call out your name, hand you a boarding pass and direct you to stay left and take the In Transit route to your gate. You'll need to go through a first "checkpoint" to show your credentials and then through Security to have your bags scanned and passport checked.

If you checked luggage, SBC fetches it for you and your luggage is placed on your flight to SBH. They typically ask you to tie yellow ribbons on your luggage to make it easy to spot.

The most important thing to remember is STAY LEFT in the terminal, look for the St. Barth Commuter representative and avoid the L-O-N-G immigration line to the right.
do you mean stay left and go directly up the stairs (I think they are orange?) as soon as you enter instead of right to the queuing lines?
When we came in 2018 we asked outside before we even entered the building after we disembarked the plane and since we had carry-on only, they literally took us right in the "out door" of the departure lounge (not sure they should have). This past November we were staying overnight for one night on SXM on the front end so it didn't affect us but we were trying to figure it out for next time and no one was around from SBC or anyone else and the airport staff seemed clueless - one person told us we could go up the stairs to the left if we had carry-on only and were flying through the SBH and one told us we couldn't and even the premium services went right (cutting the line of course). My guess at the time was that SBC staff only did that when they were trying to get someone on a plane quickly because I had heard similar comments to yours before we flew.

We've been debating whether to take a checked bag or to attempt to dress for a week's stay out of carry-ons. Discussion on another thread made it sound as tho' an expediter would be obligatory for checked bags and a less than 2 hour layover to retrieve them and clear customs. We arrive on Delta at 1:43p connecting with SBC's 3:30p flight. After checking Premium Services' fees for meet-and-greet service - 200 Euros - we decided checked bags were out. This thread, however, makes it sound as tho' SBC's staff will provide the expediting of checked bags gratis for their passengers. Am I understanding Jeanette's post correctly? If not, will the ladies in Dad's "carry-on-only" entourage please provide suggestions how to survive a week on St Barth with little more than a toothbrush, a bathing suit and a pair of flip flops? Thank you.

I consulted with my ladies. You can pack a lot into one carry on and large hand bag. You actually get two things to load you stuff into for the trip. Forget the jewelry, chic casual clothes take little space. As you describe, a "toothbrush, bathing suit and flip flops" is an extremely comment, those items alone would easily fit into a clutch. My ladies suggestion is to prioritize your clothes, and do a dry packing run in your carry on and large hand bag. Think positively, you can do it. Sure is a lot less hassle and cheaper too.

Three pair shorts, 3-4 t-shirts & blouses / shirts with collars, swimsuit, flip flops, underwear, toothbrush, & toiletries . . . maybe one “glamour” outfit, if you feel compelled. They can easily fit into your two allowed carry-on bags. If you feel like more is needed when you’re on the island, I’m told that the island has some nice clothes shopping available.

Thank you and your ladies Dad and thank you cec1. It's bridging the beach - fine dining dichotomy that had me stumped, particularly the shoes. I've already begun a clothing list along the lines you recommend cec1. And I guess one can wear bulkier items such as a sweater or jacket on the plane. We had hoped to get out on the water for Les Voiles and that required a bit of extra gear. If SBC will expedite a checked bag in the time available between flights we may still chance it. And finally, thanks for reminding us to tip generously for that service, Dad.

Remember Jammin' Joy,
We tough it out between the car park and airport entrance only in the winter; by leaving our coats, sweaters and jackets in our parked vehicle and retrieve them on the return. The airport and airplane are climate controlled.
St. Barts is not the Homestead. You do not need a jacket and tie or comparable dress for Ladies. Classic Chic is most people's choice. Furthermore, you do not need a lot of shoes if you are so inclined. No one is keeping a register on what you wear to different dining establishments. Replication is fine in both dress and shoes. Relax and enjoy the Island vibe.

. . . so well said, Bob / Dad! Men / women can look great in SBH dinner venues with modest accoutrement . . . rarely do folks “dress for dinner” in the extraordinary fashion that would impress “back home.”

Hello again Jammin' Joy,
Please take a look at my avatar. I believe the picture was taken at dinner at Maya's, which is a fine dining establishment on the waterfront in Corrossol. I believe we are dressed similarly to most diners on St. Barts.

Ha! Dad, it sounds as tho' you may be familier with the Hot/Warm Springs de rigueur uniform - blazer, khakis,etc. O.K., we get it now. No one's judging!