Mail order Rhums?

Cafe Gloriette will ship “La Gloriette” rhums to you. Very carefully packed, I might add!

Cafe Gloriette will ship “La Gloriette” rhums to you. Very carefully packed, I might add!

That was my original hope, but we want to serve it at the end of a dinner party next month and it looks like it would take too long to get it. For personal consumption there is no substitute, but for our guests the "homemade" r(h)um will be well received.

We placed an order at Cafe Gloriette while on the island on November 9th that was shipped in two boxes on the same date. We received one box on November 23rd and the second box on December 4th.

I'll second ordering and having shipped from Cafe Gloriette as we have done it a few times and has always arrived well packed and in about a month or so. You can order off of their website or call. The best deal would be on 6 bottles since that is the max per box and I don't think the shipping charge was much higher than for 1 box.

I have my vanilla beans ready to make my own the "right way" (up to each to decide which is the right way of course) for the first time ever. Very excited to see how it comes out.

See prices, but no reference to shipping. How much is "rough"?
We shipped 12 bottles back and the cost was $100; $50 per box of 6. They won't put more than 6 bottles in a package, and they are boxed up nicely to prevent any damage.

I put 6 bottles in my cart as if I were checking out and saw the 72E shipping cost.

That's pretty high.

Homemade seems to work pretty well with minimal fussing. Used the "Andy" recipe, substituting Cruzan gold (on hand and seems fine) for Mt Gay. For the first attempt, in addition to using a cane syrup (which watered it down), I overdid the Myers which left a bitter taste. For the second try, I stuck to the 5 (gold):2 (Myers) and made a concentrated simple syrup (1/2 cup sugar dissolved in 1/4 cup sub-boiling water). Vanilla was "Nielsen-Massey" pure extract from Central Market. Mixed it up and it tasted pretty good. As recommended, I let it sit a day and it was definitely smoother. I've since put it into an old "La Gloriette" bottle, so I suspect it will even better!

I've since put it into an old "La Gloriette" bottle, so I suspect it will even better!

Flavor by association, LOL. I like it!

I make my own Rhum Vanille, in a 2-gallon infusion jar. My recipe stars with "Add two 1.75L Mt. Gay and one 1.75L Goslings" and goes on from there. It's expensive to make a batch that large, but it lasts a really long time, LOL. I've tweaked the recipe to the point where I like it better than most Rhum Vanille found on St Barth, with the exception of M'Bolo Vanille Sec.

So, which tastes better?

rhum.jpg

I put 6 bottles in my cart as if I were checking out and saw the 72E shipping cost.
was $72euros the shipping cost or the cost for 6 pints at $12euro each? I thought we paid $65euros to ship and 6 * $22 for 750ml bottles ($132e) but i certainly could be wrong as it is in the ball park of what I thought I remembered and it also could have gone up since we were there in November. Either way it's cheaper than flying down to buy some...but of course not nearly as much fun...:cool:

Looking back at our last order invoice we purchased 4 - 75cl bottles at €22 each. Shipping was €56. Pricey? Yes. But, we enjoy it and like to treat ourselves from time to time!

was $72euros the shipping cost or the cost for 6 pints at $12euro each? I thought we paid $65euros to ship and 6 * $22 for 750ml bottles ($132e) but i certainly could be wrong as it is in the ball park of what I thought I remembered and it also could have gone up since we were there in November. Either way it's cheaper than flying down to buy some...but of course not nearly as much fun...:cool:

72E was the shipping cost for 6 750ml bottles.