Mail order Rhums?

PeterLynn

Senior Insider
Started planning an island-themed party for next month and would like to close out the evening with a shot of flavored rhum. Unfortunately, we finished our bottle from the last trip. I searched the archives, but couldn't find an answer. Thus,

Does Cafe Gloriette (or Mbolo, or anyone else) ship to the US?

Both M’Bolo and Gloriette ship rhum...we order from both places. If you’re looking for a more expedient delivery, Gloriette is the way to go. You’ll typically receive the shipment approximately 3-4 weeks later. We have had some issues with a misplaced shipment from M’Bolo but it eventually arrived safely. The rhum must travel through mainland France before entering the US, so it takes longer to get to your doorstep. It’s always worth the wait, however!!

We have asked for recipes from various establishments there and most give them to you. We find pretty much the same as on line recipes. As Andy says, if you can’t wait a month for arrival then yes, try making your own, and create a fun label such as Rhums de PL.

Here is the quick recipe from Andy’s Hideaway. Give it a try.

2 parts sugar cane syrup or simple syrup
1 part vanilla extract
5 parts Mount Gay Rum
2 parts Myers Rum

mix and drink

Make your own?

Always a consideration, but it looks like it might be the best option, given the shipping timeframe. Re: Andy's recipe. Think Cruzan "gold" will substitute for Mt Gay? Been a while since I had that around the house.

Not sure if it’s mix and drink. ‘Aging’ for at least a couple of days is what the restaurants on the island told us.

Here is the quick recipe from Andy’s Hideaway. Give it a try.

2 parts sugar cane syrup or simple syrup
1 part vanilla extract
5 parts Mount Gay Rum
2 parts Myers Rum

mix and drink

Converting to ounces :

10 oz Mount Gay Rum
4 oz Myers Rum
4 oz Simple Syrup
2 oz Vanilla- note that Pure Vanilla prices are out of sight now. I substituted Bakers Vanilla with no appreciable difference.

Mix and drink

We have brought back vanille rum and it does taste good, but nothing like drinking it at the end of a meal on St. Barts.

I especially enjoy David's brew at Santa Fe'. But as Hawke states, much better enjoyed after a wonderful meal on St. Barts. AHHHH St. Barts!

Converting to ounces :

10 oz Mount Gay Rum
4 oz Myers Rum
4 oz Simple Syrup
2 oz Vanilla- note that Pure Vanilla prices are out of sight now. I substituted Bakers Vanilla with no appreciable difference.

Mix and drink

Bakers Imitation Vanilla was part of a recent review of Vanilla flavorings by America's Test Kitchen. It did very well in the review, and was the best-rated imitation. Costwise, it was significantly less expensive than extract.

We are definitely going to try a homemade brew when our stash runs out. Have 3 1/2 bottles left. And, I’m NOT hijacking the thread, but I’m a huge America’s Test Kitchen fan...been a member for years!

Made a couple of Andy's batch's using 1 part=1oz. First, had an unopened bottle of cane syrup bought at the Marché last year, so used it. Very watery. More upset about the wasted vanilla extract than rum. After a visit to the store for more vanilla, made a supersaturated simple syrup (1/2 cup+ sugar and 1/4 water) and this is much better. Not as smooth as La Gloriette's, and the ambience here certainly pales, but desperate times....