The Steepest ‘Road’ on the island?

stbartshopper

Senior Insider
My vote would be - turning off the main road by Le Toiny and instead of going into Toiny, you keep left going to the top of the hill. There is a dirt road, really steep that one can take in 4 wheel mode down to the main road.
Also we have been on several long Villa driveways that take your breath away. Their views though make the drives maybe worth it?

steepest road I recall. difficult to even walk up it.

Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 7.47.36 AM.png

Ditto, Amy! And San Francisco is considering a proposal to block off that section of the street, except for “local access!”

That hill has an entry in our family memory archives - maybe 10 Decembers ago we had a great lunch at La Langouste, followed by a couple of hours at Flamands before it began to rain lightly. We packed up and began driving toward that hill but didn't get far as there was a long line of cars before us. After a long wait, it seemed like everyone in line parked their cars where they were stopped and we all walked to the hill - there was a small car, in the middle of the road midway up, on its hood! Recovery involved a large tow truck (? memory fails...), but it was quite a process to get the vehicle right-side-up and off the road. Driver and passenger(s?) were unharmed. And adding further to our adventure, Nate Berkus was in the car in front of us (he's adorable!).

My recollection is of the same road, from near La Pigeonnière, down into Flamands.

https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/sh...h-Hiking-Walks?p=945793&viewfull=1#post945793

9. Upper and Lower Colombier Beach Hike - Park your car near Le Pigeonnaire in the Village of Colombier. Walk out past Le P'tit Morne and follow directions for Upper Path down to Colombier Beach. Continue past the beach and walk back along the other coast on the lower path. Keep walking when you get to the pavement past Auberge de la Petite Anse. Continue walking on the road that parallels Flamands Beach until you get to the turnoff for La Langouste/Baie des Anges on your left and stop. This is crucial. Turn right on what appears to be an alley and walk up the steep road(20-25% grade) until you get to the main road through the Village of Colombier. Turn right and walk to Pigeonnaire to reclaim your car.

Entrance to "alley" that climbs the hill to Colombier. This is a one way road for downhill traffic, so keep an eye out -

I was thinking about drivable roads as well-
Is it drivable or driveable? ("You say toma(h)to and I say toma(a)to.")
Ditto.. remember the time I tried to Run up it to break the Colombier hike challenge?? Lordy!
I was running backwards and sideways... that’s a steep hill. Miss you guys! 😘

I hate that turn, especially in the dark after dinner in Saline.

The steepest road I've driven is Ellen's driveway. The Alps as she describes it.

https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/sh...h-Hiking-Walks?p=945793&viewfull=1#post945793

9. Upper and Lower Colombier Beach Hike - Park your car near Le Pigeonnaire in the Village of Colombier. Walk out past Le P'tit Morne and follow directions for Upper Path down to Colombier Beach. Continue past the beach and walk back along the other coast on the lower path. Keep walking when you get to the pavement past Auberge de la Petite Anse. Continue walking on the road that parallels Flamands Beach until you get to the turnoff for La Langouste/Baie des Anges on your left and stop. This is crucial. Turn right on what appears to be an alley and walk up the steep road(20-25% grade) until you get to the main road through the Village of Colombier. Turn right and walk to Pigeonnaire to reclaim your car.

Entrance to "alley" that climbs the hill to Colombier. This is a one way road for downhill traffic, so keep an eye out -
Thanks; that's one I didn't know. Coming back in April and will check it out.