Sobriety Checkpoints

Is the jail located up in the Fort area or at the Gendarme station? Would love to see a photo of the SBH jail but don't want to know it personally.

I'd love to see this thread kept alive. I don't ever drive when I shouldn't, but worrying about checkpoints would kinda suck. If Gendarme are reasonable, and issue warnings because you were lost, that is cool. But what is better than a great dinner, and a quiet drive home at night when the streets are empty? Everybody please update if you have any experiences. Would a pull over transfer to the states somehow ...

I think this thread should be revisited. I was on the island recently and had the pleasure of participating in one of these checkpoints in front of the airport after dinner (around 8pm) and a few glasses of wine. After about an hour+ of time, multiple "retesting" due to machine failure (due to my lack of lung power according to the officer), and 90 euros lighter in my wallet (ATM was right across the road...how convenient!) I was on my way, but it certainly dampened the evening and the rest of the vacation. 90% of the folks stopped looked to be Americans to me, definitely felt like a bit of a shakedown but certainly could have been worse (wife was terrified). I know others may have different opinions but I don't think this helps tourism or the local restaurants at all. We refrained from having dinner out the rest of the week and opted to stay in our villa. Before visiting we were told by our villa agent that Taxi's were hard to come by, expensive, and rideshare such as Uber were non-exisitent. Everyone rents a car when visiting and there are usually no problems unless you're driving recklessly......that turned out to be incorrect but lesson learned!