Sobriety Checkpoints

Wip

SBH Insider
Hi to all,
When we were on-island in November for Selects 70th, we were told that the gendarmes will be getting aggressive enforcing DUI violations this coming season. Strangely, we were told by some friends that they were stopped at a checkpoint at lunchtime in front of Eden Rock - weird. Looking for day drinkers I guess. Has anyone seen/heard or encountered a checkpoint? We arrive monday for 3 weeks and it sure would be helpful if we had more info from the forum. Don't get me wrong, I'm all against drinking/driving, but is there is such a thing as moderation. How about driving from your villa to dinner, splitting a bottle of wine and returning only to find you have been waved over, fail their test, spend the night in the Brig and surely face a hefty fine...after 2 glasses of wine? Or is all of this just rumors and idle chatter on the Coconut Telegraph?

In years past we have seen checkpoints in front of the airport/ Marche U both directions and at the top of the hill above the airport near the winding route down. Both times at night. We suggest a designated driver which is usually moi. Also we have observed seatbelt checkpoints where the occupants are slowed down but aren’t required to stop.

Been reading a Peter Mayle book about Provence and ran across this comment about the old unofficial BAC limit - One apéritif, half a bottle of wine and one digestif.

Been reading a Peter Mayle book about Provence and ran across this comment about the old unofficial BAC limit - One apéritif, half a bottle of wine and one digestif.
Sounds like a great rule of thumb . . . though, I think it probably passes over the BAC.

Peter Mayle unofficial BAC without digestif
put me at .08 ..they let me go and I won’t be doing that again..

BillV/ you were lucky. Haven’t met anybody yet who has been in the ‘hoosegow’ there yet.
Wonder who caters it? LOL!

. . . Haven’t met anybody yet who has been in the ‘hoosegow’ there yet.
A French friend found himself in this misfortune a year or so ago. The most difficult part for him was that upon arrest, his cell phone was taken from him. As a result, he was held overnight by the gendarmerie without being able to communicate with his companions (who were with him at the arrest, so knew where he was). In the morning, he was able to make some arrangement to pay a fine (apparently akin to posting bail) & was released.