Yachts in Gustavia for New Years 2020

EddyG

SBH Insider
Can't tell if there are more or less than last year, but it's always an impressive group. Here are a few photos from Sunday. Excellence V always had the last spot in the harbor, but not this year. The first photo is of the new Excellence - too big to tie up.

DSC08475ec.jpg

DSC08404 es.jpg

DSC08411ecs.jpg

DSC08422es.jpg

DSC08443ecs.jpg

DSC08449es.jpg

DSC08465es.jpg

DSC08470ecccs.jpg

pano_12eccs.jpg

pano_12es.jpgpano_12es.jpg

Looking at Marine Traffic, there appear to be more yachts this year than last year. Marine Traffic reports 124 transponders in Gustavia Anchorage (the outer harbor) and 42 in the port itself (the inner harbor). Some of those will be smaller boats, and some will be launches or tenders from the larger boats. Either way, it's a lot of yachts.

Excellence V at 60m, used to have pride-of-place at the end of the dock behind Lou Lou's Marine. The new Excellence, at 80m, no longer fits in the harbor. The Captain seems to know how to get a prime mooring slot in the outer harbor, but I'm afraid that the view of the commercial port may not be as attractive as the view of the quay in Gustavia.

I probably paid for a few deck screws or something on Excellence V, but I did not contribute to the building of Excellence. Perhaps, with my next car purchase, I will contribute to the operating costs.

Looking at Marine Traffic, there appear to be more yachts this year than last year. Marine Traffic reports 124 transponders in Gustavia Anchorage (the outer harbor) and 42 in the port itself (the inner harbor). Some of those will be smaller boats, and some will be launches or tenders from the larger boats. Either way, it's a lot of yachts.

Excellence V at 60m, used to have pride-of-place at the end of the dock behind Lou Lou's Marine. The new Excellence, at 80m, no longer fits in the harbor. The Captain seems to know how to get a prime mooring slot in the outer harbor, but I'm afraid that the view of the commercial port may not be as attractive as the view of the quay in Gustavia.

I probably paid for a few deck screws or something on Excellence V, but I did not contribute to the building of Excellence. Perhaps, with my next car purchase, I will contribute to the operating costs.

He had to scale back his plans a few months ago after I was done buying a car from him. Win some, lose some, he came out on the wrong side of that deal.

I think the square footage of new Excellence is a poor trade off for location, but that's me. While we spent magical holidays almost alone at anchor in Colombier, we also spent many happy Christmas and New Years on a mooring in the inner harbor on the Baz Bar side of Excellence. (How is that for navigation?) There are always traffic jams with tenders trying to squeeze in to drop and pick up guests. I once gave a hand to Giorgio Armani as he left a tender in the harbor with surging conditions. He said, "Thank you, my dear, and I can help you, too." This was offered with humor and compassion. I did look somewhat like a hobo. Happy New Year to all here. Tomorrow is the Round the Island Race. Watch the boats on Marine Traffic leave the harbor and circumnavigate the island! Happy New Year to everyone, and a healthy New Year.

While we spent magical holidays almost alone at anchor in Colombier, we also spent many happy Christmas and New Years on a mooring in the inner harbor on the Baz Bar side of Excellence. (How is that for navigation?) There are always traffic jams with tenders trying to squeeze in to drop and pick up guests. I once gave a hand to Giorgio Armani as he left a tender in the harbor with surging conditions. He said, "Thank you, my dear, and I can help you, too." This was offered with humor and compassion. I did look somewhat like a hobo. Happy New Year to all here.

:cool: Very cool

I think the square footage of new Excellence is a poor trade off for location, but that's me. While we spent magical holidays almost alone at anchor in Colombier, we also spent many happy Christmas and New Years on a mooring in the inner harbor on the Baz Bar side of Excellence. (How is that for navigation?) There are always traffic jams with tenders trying to squeeze in to drop and pick up guests. I once gave a hand to Giorgio Armani as he left a tender in the harbor with surging conditions. He said, "Thank you, my dear, and I can help you, too." This was offered with humor and compassion. I did look somewhat like a hobo. Happy New Year to all here. Tomorrow is the Round the Island Race. Watch the boats on Marine Traffic leave the harbor and circumnavigate the island! Happy New Year to everyone, and a healthy New Year.
Happy New Year Rosemary. 😍

. . . I once gave a hand to Giorgio Armani as he left a tender in the harbor with surging conditions. He said, "Thank you, my dear, and I can help you, too." This was offered with humor and compassion. I did look somewhat like a hobo.
Great story, Rosemary . . . and I'm reminded of a very funny story told by Sister Parish, the late, great American designer -- famed, for among other reasons, as Jackie Kennedy's designer in renovations at The White House. She related in her autobiography that when she one time was given a tour by Estee Lauder of the latter's mansion in Palm Beach, "Sister" commented, "You know, Estee . . . I could do so much with this house." Estee responded, "You know, Sister . . . I could do so much with your face!"

Marine Traffic now shows 174 in the outer harbor, and 42 in the port. Again, some of those will be Tenders to the larger yachts, and a new-to-me term, Limo Tenders.