Thread: Yachts in Gustavia for New Years 2020

SBH Insider Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 553

Yachts in Gustavia for New Years 2020

Can't tell if there are more or less than last year, but it's always an impressive group. Here are a few photos from Sunday. Excellence V always had the last spot in the harbor, but not this year. The first photo is of the new Excellence - too big to tie up.

Name:  DSC08475ec.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  668.7 KB

Name:  DSC08404 es.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  497.2 KB

Name:  DSC08411ecs.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  443.4 KB

Name:  DSC08422es.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  677.9 KB

Name:  DSC08443ecs.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  541.9 KB

Name:  DSC08449es.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  657.7 KB

Name:  DSC08465es.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  656.1 KB

Name:  DSC08470ecccs.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  510.1 KB

Name:  pano_12eccs.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  859.0 KB

Name:  pano_12es.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  261.0 KBName:  pano_12es.jpg
Size:  261.0 KB

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Boston Posts: 20,214

Re: Yachts in Gustavia for New Years 2020

Looking at Marine Traffic, there appear to be more yachts this year than last year. Marine Traffic reports 124 transponders in Gustavia Anchorage (the outer harbor) and 42 in the port itself (the inner harbor). Some of those will be smaller boats, and some will be launches or tenders from the larger boats. Either way, it's a lot of yachts.

Excellence V at 60m, used to have pride-of-place at the end of the dock behind Lou Lou's Marine. The new Excellence, at 80m, no longer fits in the harbor. The Captain seems to know how to get a prime mooring slot in the outer harbor, but I'm afraid that the view of the commercial port may not be as attractive as the view of the quay in Gustavia.

I probably paid for a few deck screws or something on Excellence V, but I did not contribute to the building of Excellence. Perhaps, with my next car purchase, I will contribute to the operating costs.

Name:  0B57E344-C910-42E4-B27E-8B3A0BCAF535.jpg
Size:  117.7 KB

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2013 Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. Posts: 9,187

As always, quire a display.

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2016 Long Island Posts: 426

That is a wow

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2015 Martinsville, NJ Posts: 1,638

Quite impressive! Thanks for sharing.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 417

Quote Originally Posted by KevinS View Post
    Looking at Marine Traffic, there appear to be more yachts this year than last year. Marine Traffic reports 124 transponders in Gustavia Anchorage (the outer harbor) and 42 in the port itself (the inner harbor). Some of those will be smaller boats, and some will be launches or tenders from the larger boats. Either way, it's a lot of yachts.

Excellence V at 60m, used to have pride-of-place at the end of the dock behind Lou Lou's Marine. The new Excellence, at 80m, no longer fits in the harbor. The Captain seems to know how to get a prime mooring slot in the outer harbor, but I'm afraid that the view of the commercial port may not be as attractive as the view of the quay in Gustavia.

I probably paid for a few deck screws or something on Excellence V, but I did not contribute to the building of Excellence. Perhaps, with my next car purchase, I will contribute to the operating costs.
    He had to scale back his plans a few months ago after I was done buying a car from him. Win some, lose some, he came out on the wrong side of that deal.

SBH Insider Joined: Jun 2003 st-barthelemy Posts: 1,803

Name:  IMG_1267.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  185.2 KB
    rosita
    villa la baleine | villa les jardins d'Emmanuel | villa les basses

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 26,133

A Festival of Light right in your backyard!
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2010 New England Posts: 4,354

I think the square footage of new Excellence is a poor trade off for location, but that's me. While we spent magical holidays almost alone at anchor in Colombier, we also spent many happy Christmas and New Years on a mooring in the inner harbor on the Baz Bar side of Excellence. (How is that for navigation?) There are always traffic jams with tenders trying to squeeze in to drop and pick up guests. I once gave a hand to Giorgio Armani as he left a tender in the harbor with surging conditions. He said, "Thank you, my dear, and I can help you, too." This was offered with humor and compassion. I did look somewhat like a hobo. Happy New Year to all here. Tomorrow is the Round the Island Race. Watch the boats on Marine Traffic leave the harbor and circumnavigate the island! Happy New Year to everyone, and a healthy New Year.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Ailleurs Posts: 6,453

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post
    While we spent magical holidays almost alone at anchor in Colombier, we also spent many happy Christmas and New Years on a mooring in the inner harbor on the Baz Bar side of Excellence. (How is that for navigation?) There are always traffic jams with tenders trying to squeeze in to drop and pick up guests. I once gave a hand to Giorgio Armani as he left a tender in the harbor with surging conditions. He said, "Thank you, my dear, and I can help you, too." This was offered with humor and compassion. I did look somewhat like a hobo. Happy New Year to all here.
    Very cool
    Fils du Sud - Ministre de la Santé

If I can't wear my Havaianas, I ain't goin'...ÀMHA

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2010 New England Posts: 4,354

Happy New Year, Cassidain.

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2015 Martinsville, NJ Posts: 1,638

Quote Originally Posted by Rosita View Post
    Name:  IMG_1267.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  185.2 KB
    What a view! Love this!

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 43,751

Smile Re: Yachts in Gustavia for New Years 2020

I think the square footage of new Excellence is a poor trade off for location, but that's me. While we spent magical holidays almost alone at anchor in Colombier, we also spent many happy Christmas and New Years on a mooring in the inner harbor on the Baz Bar side of Excellence. (How is that for navigation?) There are always traffic jams with tenders trying to squeeze in to drop and pick up guests. I once gave a hand to Giorgio Armani as he left a tender in the harbor with surging conditions. He said, "Thank you, my dear, and I can help you, too." This was offered with humor and compassion. I did look somewhat like a hobo. Happy New Year to all here. Tomorrow is the Round the Island Race. Watch the boats on Marine Traffic leave the harbor and circumnavigate the island! Happy New Year to everyone, and a healthy New Year.
    Happy New Year Rosemary. 😍

Andy

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Austin, Texas Posts: 17,194

Rosita...you have the best view of all!
    The waves of the sea bring me back to me.

A few more of my panoramic ones.

Name:  pano_10es.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  173.0 KB

Name:  pano_13es.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  703.2 KB

Name:  pano_15es.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  600.1 KB

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 5,639

. . . I once gave a hand to Giorgio Armani as he left a tender in the harbor with surging conditions. He said, "Thank you, my dear, and I can help you, too." This was offered with humor and compassion. I did look somewhat like a hobo.
    Great story, Rosemary . . . and I'm reminded of a very funny story told by Sister Parish, the late, great American designer -- famed, for among other reasons, as Jackie Kennedy's designer in renovations at The White House. She related in her autobiography that when she one time was given a tour by Estee Lauder of the latter's mansion in Palm Beach, "Sister" commented, "You know, Estee . . . I could do so much with this house." Estee responded, "You know, Sister . . . I could do so much with your face!"

Name:  pano_16es.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  637.4 KB

Marine Traffic now shows 174 in the outer harbor, and 42 in the port. Again, some of those will be Tenders to the larger yachts, and a new-to-me term, Limo Tenders.

SBH Member Joined: Oct 2015 Mars,Pa Posts: 147

We arrive Jan 10--Hope some of these hang around!!