Bringing Friends to St. Barts

Hawke

Senior Insider
Years ago we brought two sisters that my wife grew up with and also friends of mine. Both were in the restaurant business as bartenders and waitresses. Both smokers; legal and illegal. Red wine drinkers. I hope Julie has forgiven me because the décor in her villa was white. The local custom of having a table in St.Barts, as long as you were still drinking, was yours, drove them crazy. They were used to turning tables over and both were looking towards their next smoke. Even though they were both daughters of an Irish mother and a Lebonese father; one had fair skin and the other dark. I had to build a shelter out of driftwood and wraps for one and the other would stay on the beach all day if possible. The only stressful vacation I ever had.

Kent, you make me laugh. I'm in my office laughing loudly, by myself of course. I can relate to so many of your posts. I have had those stressful vacations, keeping guests pleased and accommodated well!

My wife and I decided after similar types of experiences like yours, we have become ‘super’ selective as to whom we might go on vacation with. Most of the time it is just the two of us. It is not a vacation if you are working so hard to please others.

I’m with you on this. It becomes a job when taking people on vacation, especially if it’s their first time to the destination.

I agree with all the comments above. Liz and I always travel alone. There are couples who seem to need to travel in groups. I suspect these might be the same couples that never dine out by themselves.

Whatever works for you, go for it. I like dining with friends and I am happy on date nights too. To each his/her/their own.