Music Festival - Jan 3 - Jan 19, 2020

KevinS

Senior Insider
From FB:

Capture.JPG

Movies take place on the AJOE tennis court, projected onto the back wall.

Not sure if they still play tennis there but it definitely was a tennis court. They now have a recent state-of-the-art digital projector and very good sound system... we show some of the film festival movies there every year. Far cry from the old days when there was an antiquated 35mm projector that took half a film and there was an intermission to change the reel !

AJOE is a non-profit island association that hosts lots of activities for kids, including the Reefer Surf Club which uses the colorful surf shack across from JoJo Burger...
some really good surfers have come out of that club !

?.. They now have a recent state-of-the-art digital projector and very good sound system... we show some of the film festival movies there every year. Far cry from the old days when there was an antiquated 35mm projector that took half a film and there was an intermission to change the reel !

This summer projectionist from many years ago can relate to Buster Keaton's classic Sherlock Jr (1924) - which looked at a projectionist's world (good clip here) well before Cinema Paradiso ... the Inner Circle (trailer here) featured a projectionist job for which one would not apply (good clip here)... never having gotten into the groove with Madonna, those are my favorite projectionist movies...

Tonight and tomorrow, Ballet at AJOE:

Vendredi 3 et samedi 4 janvier 19h à l'AJOE - Soirée Ballet avec les danseurs de l’Opéra national de Paris (y compris les étoiles Ludmila Pagliero et Germain Louvet): €25

Friday 3rd & Saturday 4th January at 7pm at AJOE in Lorient - Ballet performance with dancers from the Paris Opera Ballet (including 'les etoiles' Ludmila Pagliero et Germain Louvet): tickets 25€

It’ll be interesting to hear / read reviews of the dance performances. As I recall last year, the Paris company could not attend. Instead there were dancers from New York, & the reviews were “mixed,” as the saying goes.

We have attended the Ballet on the Quay last two years since Irma. I felt the dancers from NY were excellent last year. I would not have cast anything negative upon the lovely dancers from NY. We are suffering withdrawal not watching the dancers this year. We pushed our annual January family vacation back one week for business reasons. Missing the dancers....

I know how much you enjoyed that performance and your family’s appreciation of dance. Perhaps things will work out for a future trip...you gotta believe.

This year's dancers from Paris were extraordinary... and considering the Paris Opera is on strike, it was great to have the dancers here! The lighting at AJOE was very good as well, and as they say in A Chorus Line "everything was beautiful at the ballet.."

So pleased to hear your review Ellen. Next year, we intend to make it there just after the new year for the Ballet performance. I would believe AJOE is a much more conducive environment for the Ballet. Made it difficult for the dancers in the wind environment on the quay.

You can find a short video clip and several still images on the St Barts Music Festival page on FB.