Caribbean Journal Write up on Les Islets

Guess it's not a secret anymore :cool: but it is a lovely hotel with a few little beachfront 2-story places....

I don't see a date . . . I wonder when the article was written? If a recent article, I think that they must be old photos because the one showing a large beach is, I believe, seriously out of date . . . unless recent weather brought back a lot of sand.

One of my favorite memories was floating on my back in Marigot Bay during a full moon without clouds. The water was calm and just the right temperature. Easy walk from and back to our villa. Can anyone guess where I was staying?

Full moon dinners were also beautiful at Gloriettes. What was the name of the restaurant at the end of that bay?

Next time we are both on island will work.

On the full moon drive to Le Sereno we passed by Marigot Bay and it too looked like rippling liquid silver.

I don't see a date . . . I wonder when the article was written? If a recent article, I think that they must be old photos because the one showing a large beach is, I believe, seriously out of date . . . unless recent weather brought back a lot of sand.

Dennis, this was from an email I’d received from Caribbean Journal yesterday, 12/13. I agree, the pics shown are way out of date.

Dennis, this was from an email I’d received from Caribbean Journal yesterday, 12/13. I agree, the pics shown are way out of date.

Well, rats. We've looked at Les Islets often, but I've always hesitated because of the lack of sand. Seeing those pics was making me rethink our decision. Our other hesitation was the inability to walk across the end of the runway in the sand. Does anyone know what the current "rules" are regarding this? It would be nice to wander down to Pearl for lunch.

was trying to locate civil codes (if any) concerning end-of-runway beach access. devilishly hard to find. I think I remember a number of years ago (pre EarMa) the French government stepping in and imposing the erection of barrier fences bordering the runway. I assume there would be restrictive access codes to go along???
at any rate, here's an interesting segment from the notes section of the French government's civil aviation authority's technical advisory for the Saint-Barth airport:

Dangers à la navigation aérienne :Air navigation hazards:
Approche délicate (relief et turbulences) RWY 10 et RWY 28.
Présence de voiliers dans la baie de Saint Jean.
Présence d’une maison haute de 5 m et d’un muret au niveau du point de toucher RWY 10 dans les servitudes latérales de la piste au nord.
Bande partiellement sablonneuse en amont du seuil 28. Risque de piétons sur la plage en amont du seuil 28. Risque d’éblouissement en finale 28 en fin de journée.
Difficult approach (obstructions and turbulences) RWY 10 and RWY 28.
Presence of sailing boats in Saint Jean’s bay.
Presence of house 5 m high and a low wall close to RWY 10 touchdown point, within the lateral constraints of northern RWY.
Partially sandy strip upstream of RWY 28. Possible presence of pedestrians on the beach upstream of RWY 28. Dazzling risk on final 28 at the end of the day.
Présence d’une clôture en contrebas de la plage, à l’Est de l’extrémité de piste 28, dans la bande de piste et le prolongement dégagé RWY 10, perçant les trouées d’atterrissage RWY 28 et de décollage RWY 10, à 25.4 m au Sud de l’axe de piste.Presence of a fence below the beach, east of runway end 28, in runway strip and clearway RWY 10, impacting LDG funnel RWY 28 and TKOF funnel RWY 10, at 25.4 m south of runway axis.
Péril animalier :Wildlife strike hazards:
De 1100 à SS+15.From 1100 to SS+15.
Intense activité des vols du 15 décembre au 30 Avril. Présence d’oiseaux aux abords de la piste.Intense flight activity from 15 december to 30 april. Presence of birds surrounding the RWY.

in a related subject, there are definite and precise reglementations regarding the presence of water craft in the Baie de Saint-Jean as well as requirements for the COM to install and maintain warning bouys extending the parallel lines of the runway into the bay.

http://www.guadeloupe.gouv.fr/index.php/content/download/6672/47308/file/partie%201.pdf

Well, rats. We've looked at Les Islets often, but I've always hesitated because of the lack of sand. Seeing those pics was making me rethink our decision. Our other hesitation was the inability to walk across the end of the runway in the sand. Does anyone know what the current "rules" are regarding this? It would be nice to wander down to Pearl for lunch.

While it is physically posible to walk past the airport, a loudspeaker is near the end of the runway and if you linger a bit, someone will ask you to move along.

The problem is that folks stop and look towards the airport waiting for landing planes when planes are landing "backwards". Could be a problem.

Thanks cassidain - my pilot husband found your information very interesting! Does that imply that you can cross and avoid reprimand as long as you a) look both ways first, and b) don't dilly-dally?

Thanks cassidain - my pilot husband found your information very interesting! Does that imply that you can cross and avoid reprimand as long as you a) look both ways first, and b) don't dilly-dally?

18EA9649-85B4-4305-BFE4-7D239E4BAC6B.jpeg
from Serge Brin FB

illustration of why COM doesn’t want people hanging out on beach in front of runway