Thread: Perhaps the Times are Changing? And a good thing for business.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2011 Posts: 822

Perhaps the Times are Changing? And a good thing for business.

This is not a complaint. We are returning with another couple who has been with us a few years ago. In the mid 80's we first visited St.Barts. with 4 children and Denise's sister. Believe it or not we traveled together to the beaches in a Moke. In retrospect not wise, but that was a different time. We survived and we will be visiting again at the end of April. There is nothing that compares to a vacation on St. Barts. The people, the food, the beaches, the scenery around every turn. As many people from that time, I wish I had bought a property. I have lost track of the number of times we have been back, the one constant is that everyone we have traveled with has also returned.

SBH Member Joined: Jul 2007 Posts: 231

Re: Perhaps the Times are Changing? And a good thing for business.

It is remarkable how St. Barths so naturally and swiftly enchants its visitors. Seems nearly magical at times . . .

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 5,480

Quote Originally Posted by Hawke View Post
    . . . There is nothing that compares to a vacation on St. Barts. The people, the food, the beaches, the scenery around every turn.
    Agree, Kent . . . remarkable combination of factors that draw visitors back, over & over.

To your list, I would add another component — security. I think that the sense of personal safety & security felt in being on SBH distinguishes it as a particularly desirable destination, where one can relax with a high degree of comfort. Maintaining this sense of predictable certainty is, in large part, the mission of the Collectivité . . . its managers know that tourism will wither if a crack opens in this important aspect of the island’s image.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2011 Posts: 822

Quote Originally Posted by cec1 View Post
    Agree, Kent . . . remarkable combination of factors that draw visitors back, over & over.

To your list, I would add another component — security. I think that the sense of personal safety & security felt in being on SBH distinguishes it as a particularly desirable destination, where one can relax with a high degree of comfort. Maintaining this sense of predictable certainty is, in large part, the mission of the Collectivité . . . its managers know that tourism will wither if a crack opens in this important aspect of the island’s image.
    I agree Dennis. As I have posted before, we have visited other islands where we were broken into and robbed.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 5,480

Quote Originally Posted by Hawke View Post
    I agree Dennis. As I have posted before, we have visited other islands where we were broken into and robbed.
    I do remember . . . a horrible experience for you & Denise!

SBH Insider Joined: Aug 2013 Northern Virginia Posts: 1,935

Kent and Dennis are spot on. Like Phil and Amy say "you either get it or you don't". We get it!

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2013 Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. Posts: 8,693

We ‘get it’ as well and have for many years. Having been to many of the Caribbean islands, we only return to Barthelemy-

SBH Member Joined: Apr 2007 Littleton, Colorado Posts: 220

Yep, we got it the first time we came in the late 90s. Our time every year on St. Barts is what I like to call our "non-negotiable" vacation. We still travel the world every year, but always come back to St. Barts.

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2013 Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. Posts: 8,693

We are all very lucky we discovered Ouanalao. Year after year it is a place we always look forward to for several weeks of bliss.