Reservations challenges

stbartshopper

Senior Insider
We emailed Odile at Gumbs to reserve a rental car. No response. We called- always busy. We tried her 24 hour line. It kept disconnecting when she answered. Finally we talked to Odile who informed us she never received our emails.
We used Access St. Barth for restaurant reservations and heard back from about half of them. We went to restaurant web sites and sent emails directly and also called. Still no response.
We spoke with other long term island friends and they said others were having the same problems.
For some reason, this year seems more difficult, at least for some of us to secure our reservations. We know many don’t make them until arrival. We have been shut out on nights we want at some places in the past such as Bonito, Eden Rock and others so we have the first 10 days or so planned out- both lunches and dinners- during the peak season.
What are others experiencing?

I emailed Odile last Sunday morning...she responded that very morning....so probably best to email her on a direct basis. Also, ref restaurant reservations...if you are renting a villa from Wimco, SBH, etc....they will make the reservations for you....they have "contacts" at most of the restaurants and may get "priority" over someone calling on their own for a reservation

I'd be curious as to what Kevin, Dennis, Amy & Phil and any other folks on the ground think regarding restaurant reservations. We will be there in mid-January and with the exception of the first night dinner, have always just called the day before or even same day while on island and never had a problem. The only time we felt compelled to get reservations further in advance was the one (and only) time we were there over New Year's and during the Bucket. If something has changed, that would be helpful to know. Thanks.

We try to make reservations as soon as a dining plan arises. The owners, I think, appreciate being able to count the house and plan for their proper staffing in advance.

I make reservations when I know when/where I want to dine. That’s often the same day, but sometimes a few days in advance. For example, if I’m at Santa Fé for lunch on Sunday, and know that I want to return for Moules et Frites on Friday, then I’ll make a reservation for both the table and the mussels while I’m there.

Over Thanksgiving, the only restaurant where I had to change my plans was Orega, which now uses an online booking process. The only table available was at 21:00, and I prefer to dine earlier than that. I booked for the following night instead. Note: Orega now requires a credit card to reserve a table.

If I were to visit over Christmas or during the Bucket then I would likely plan farther in advance.

I had trouble securing reservations over Thanksgiving week at L'Isola and Eddy's using the reservation portal on their website. Never got a response that way. It took a phone call to each and that got me what I needed.

We almost always rent a villa through an agency and take advantage of their concierge to book tables for us...whether it be far in advance or same day.

Thanks for the replies. That seems consistent with how we have done it on past trips. I was just concerned that things had changed and reservations further in advance were required. Happy Holidays!

We booked our villa through an agency this trip and forthe first time, had them handle dinner reservations.

It worked perfectly. Laura at SB Properties took great car of us even when we wanted to change things on short notice.

I will continue to do this in the future with which ever agency I use.

As for Gumbs, I used this: gumbs.car.rental@wanadoo.fr and had easy back and forth to get my car reserved.

We will be there for the holidays and are having trouble securing reservations at L'Isola and Bonito no response from L'lsola and Bonito 1st opening is January 6th. We will have to go in person when we get there. It's only 2 of us and we are easy we can sit at the Bar and we eat late usually the 9 PM reservation works for us..

We DM'ed Bonito (and a few other restos) on Instagram and they responded pretty quickly. I'm not sure it's their preferred method of taking reservations so they may have just given us a one time courtesy but give it a try.

Good tip Jim.
l’esprit is the hardest to communicate with. But we’ll figure it out. Facebook didn’t work nor phone or Access for us.

:party:Great news we got most of our dinner reservations made ... L'Isola , Bonito, Black Ginger and Eddys, we had to settle for 10 PM at L'Isola January 1st . Other nights we will pick-up from or dine in at Island Flavours , Au Regal and Les Bananiers. We also cook dinner sometimes.

In my many visits here, I have found that it to be extremely hard to starve on this island.

In my many visits here, I have found that it to be extremely hard to starve on this island.
I’m with you, Amy. Though I often do so on relatively short notice, I always call for reservations before going into a restaurant. I know that owners / hosts appreciate it. And, if a place cannot accommodate me, there always are great back-up options. On the rare occasion that dining in a particular restaurant, at a particular time, is important . . . I go, well in advance, to the restaurant & discuss arrangements — it always makes such visits a much nicer time for everyone.

I don’t trust the online booking for St Barts- lessons have told me. I like to speak directly to a person at the restaurant for reservations. That way I know I am booked.