Shatira - Coming Soon

KevinS

Senior Insider
Coming soon in Merlette. From FB:

020B2076-719F-42A9-B821-2C15EAC8E857.jpeg

I would not call this area merlette. this restaurant is on the same road heading down towards cheval blanc, formerly spice.

Ellen, I did not see a sign for Shatira when I drove through Merlette a few weeks ago.

The Brique/Brick is something which I’m not familiar with. A Google search for “Brique à la Viande” shows me lots of images of small meat-filled pastry packets. The images remind me of Samosas.

Below is an image of another Brique/Brick which they posted yesterday, this one with Tuna and Egg.

50366B9F-46A7-421C-8739-92D42861E612.jpeg

I wonder with all of the parking ticket activity, where one parks to dine at Shatira?
May adversely impact their business?

It is described as Oriental. In my world, Oriental restaurants are Asian. My take on this menu is that in this sense, Oriental is North African.
/
Kevin, le Proche-Orient extends as far west as Egypt. Still a bit east of owner’s native Algeria. But I guess culture and cuisine of Algeria similar to that of le Proche-Orient ?

This article on the Destination-Saint-Barths website provides more information on Shatira. It is described as Oriental. In my world, Oriental restaurants are Asian. My take on this menu is that in this sense, Oriental is North African.

https://www.destination-saint-barths.com/finally-an-oriental-restaurant-in-saint-barth/
This reply is completley tounge in cheek. I do not think it is correct to say Oriental in todays day and age. You must say Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese, and many other countries, without hurting feelings. I was a son of the WW11 generation. My father was a veteran of the European War, destroyed him and our family. I praise the women and men that served during the Korean and Vietnam wars. We have it so easy in the USA compared to much of the rest of the world. Otherwise SBH online would not exist.

. I do not think it is correct to say Oriental in todays day and age.

One of my children said something to that effect: that it was somehow offensive to say “Oriental” (referring to people) and that “Asian” was preferred :rolleyes:
Sounds psycho to me.
The Occident and the Orient.

I have a friend who is korean, she said she does not mind if someone calls her oriental, however if someone asks her if she is chinese or japanese instead of korean, then she is offended..