Resto recommendations for impromptu dinner at the bar

CappyD

I'll be back on our favorite island soon and was wondering if you can recommend restaurants where you can walk in (no reservation) and sit at the bar and have a good experience including the full menu to choose from.

I’m unclear on what you’re looking for. Are you looking to find a good place to eat dinner, or are you looking to dine at a top restaurant?

You could do that at Le Repaire, but you could probably get a table too. (Check the Specials Board)
I’ve seen people eating dinner at the bar at Santa Fé. (Pressé de Cochon de Lait, I’m just sayin’...)
You might be able to get a seat at the Sushi Bar at Orega.
Chances of getting a walk-in seat at the bar at L’Isola aren’t great.

We love eating at the bar back home. Here, it's just not the norm.

The new Sand Bar at the Eden Rock hotel has a beautiful bar but I think they would frown on someone wanting a full meal there.

We had had drinks and appetizers at the bar at Tamarin as well as in their garden, but again I'd say a full meal would be at a table...

I disagree with the above recommendations. Any of the restaurants with a bar are happy to serve you dinner. Many people travel alone and restaurants understand the aloneness one can have sitting at a table vs. chatting with the bartender/dress or a person sitting next to you. Choose any restaurant you wish and they will/should be happy to serve you at the bar. Call ahead and ask if you are concerned. Sant Fe does, as do Tamarin, Orega, Repaire and Isola to name a few but we don’t know with the new Eden Rock (Sand Bar) or at the Gustaf.

I have never lived my life doing what some other culture did; I did what I wanted to do, so eat at the bar if that is what you like.

I have never lived my life doing what some other culture did; I did what I wanted to do, so eat at the bar if that is what you like.
I agree with you, George . . . eat at the bar, if it’s what you seek. But, I have to add that dinner at a table, even dining alone, elevates the dining experience beyond a bar setting.

Thanks all. And I appreciate the cultural difference. I too find the "walk in and eat at the bar" idea can be pleasant here and just wanted to know if any restaurants on the island (and not just the top ones) have been known to invite this as well. I have not looked for it in my past visits, so thought I'd plumb the knowledge here. Any thoughts on others such as Bananiers, L'Esprit, or La Guerite?

Bananiers does not have bar seating. They do have a seating area for waiting for pick up of the TO GO orders .

Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 7.26.52 AM.png

isn't this the bar at L'Esprit ? would seem like a strange place to dine. maybe that's just me ?

Pre-Irma shot of L’Esprit bar, I believe . . . though the renovated version is much the same. It’s definitely a dining venue for some. I’ve also seen folks eating dinner at the La Guerite bar.

We have had dinner at the bar at Bonito a few times, and it was a great experience. It's funny, we eat at the bar all the time at home, and I probably wouldn't think to do it in "actual" France, but it hadn't even occurred to me that it would be a weird thing to do in St Barths! At any rate -- our dining experience at the bar at Bonito has been far better than at a table, where we experienced what some others here have -- overly attentive (ahem) service, rushing, etc. Conversely, Johann at the bar (hopefully he's back this year) is fantastic, super personable and fun, makes you feel totally welcome and at home and you can hang out as long as you like without feeling like they maybe would like you to relinquish your spot to someone richer or more fabulous :). As an aside, although I love the ambiance at Bonito, I don't love the food and don't necessarily want to order a 3-course meal, so it's nice to eat at the bar and just get one dish.

We've dined at the bars at Bonito and Nikki Beach when we couldn't get a reservation and both offered full menus. Bonito's bar has great service and an amazing view. We love seafood, especially ceviche, so we think Bonito has one of the best menus on the island.

We tried to get appetizers from the dinner menu at Tamarin while enjoying cocktails in the garden this summer. We could only order limited apps from the bar menu, which was a disappointment.

I believe you can also order food while at the bar at Le Toiny.

Last time we dined at Bonito we decided our next time would be at the bar...looked like a great spot with a great view...also not really a fan of sitting at the tables along the rail...although a great view the proximity to other diners to us is bothersome