First Night Dining Recommendation (Les Bananiers or Le Repaire)

agenova

SBH Member
My wife and I are returning in January to the island and after much trial and error over the years, like to start the trip off with a first night dinner at Eddy's. She and I are getting in a night early on a Friday in order to prepare for our friends arrival the next day who will be joining us as first timers and we'd like to save the "first night" Eddy's experience for them (so, technically our first night dinner at Eddy's will be our second night). I'd welcome Forum Members' thoughts on preference for either Les Bananiers or Le Repaire for a low-key first night dinner after a day of travel. We've been to both but neither are on our regular list. The rest of the week will be a combination of Maya's, L'Esprit, QG, Santa Fe and L'Isola. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

We love both first night choices, but I would also consider Zion. The food is wonderful and the presentation is beautiful, but it's casual and not stuffy at all. It was one of the best meals of our trip.

Le Repaire has often been our 1st nite, we like to see the harbour lights, the boats moving in the dark, people walking by. I'm never disappointed with the dorade/sp? Bananiers we usually go for lunch, pizza & beer, tho their dinners are excellent too.

I was disappointed with the pizza at Les Bananiers on our recent visits. What was once was one of the best pizzas on the island was instead limp and oil-soaked.

My suggestion is to go to Le Repaire.

I had great pizza at Les Bananiers last month. I also like Le Repaire. I would flip a coin!

Last night was our 1st night on the island, and we had a very nice dinner at Le Repaire. Shared shrimp tempura app, chicken with mashed potatoes & gravy, and tagliatelle with vegetables, nice rose. Something simple after a long day of travel.

charlotte

I was disappointed with the pizza at Les Bananiers on our recent visits. What was once was one of the best pizzas on the island was instead limp and oil-soaked

I know some do but I don’t go to St Barts to eat pizza. :wink2:

Thanks to all for the suggestions and perspectives. Can't go wrong with either so smartest thing I can do is let my wife decide.:D

The smoking at Le Repaire in late July/early August was unbearable.

I would also consider eating at the bar at Bonito and enjoying a cocktail, a few ceviches and a great view of the harbor. Another thought is a fabulous wine bar called Papillon Ivre in St. Jean. You will feel like you've spent a night in an authentic French bistro.

we have been going to Le Repaire on Sunday night (in the past many of the restaurants were not open on Sunday).......now we go on Sunday night just to try and cut down on the traffic/scooter noise ….and we sit "on the rail" to try and avoid some of the smoke issue. Sounds like a lot of negatives but we have had consistently good food and delightful service over the years..

You cannot go wrong with either choice. As for us however, Les Bananiers is always our first night dinner. Their banana rum is something we look forward to enjoying after a wonderful meal to kick off the trip.

They both are great choices for a 1st night dinner after long day of travel. Like I said, flip a coin. I like the idea of letting your spouse choose, can not go wrong with that idea.

Either one is a good choice. We would opt for Repaire on the Harbor. Reserve a table and ask for one alongside the road there in the event of smoking.

For years our first night go to was Andys. For the last couple of years we have switched to Gran de Sel by Saline Not quite vincent adam but close great to be able to breath in fresh air and feel a breeze after a day of travel