Disappointed with Maurice Car Renta

Mrsm6-7-08

SBH Insider
We are renting a villa again through Eden Rock. They use Maurice and I stupidly (I’ll admit that) didn’t price shop for 2 mini coopers anywhere else and Filled out the form the other day and sent it back to eden rock.
The price is 1440 euros.
I decided after the fact to ask turbe for a quote and they came back at 1044 euros for the same exact car.
We are renting 2 of them.

I asked eden rock if they can speak to Maurice about them either matching the price or offering the 10% off from being a forum member.

I received a call from eden rock and they said Maurice won’t budge on the price. And said If I cancel my reservation they will charge me 1440 euros total because that’s 50% of the both rentals.

All together I feel like I am getting scammed out of 396 euros times 2

I know I should of price shopped first before signing the form and sending it back. But I don’t think it’s good customer service. Especially since I’ve rented from Maurice in the past.

We are renting a villa again through Eden Rock. They use Maurice and I stupidly (I’ll admit that) didn’t price shop for 2 mini coopers anywhere else and Filled out the form the other day and sent it back to eden rock.
The price is 1440 euros.
I decided after the fact to ask turbe for a quote and they came back at 1044 euros for the same exact car.
We are renting 2 of them.

I asked eden rock if they can speak to Maurice about them either matching the price or offering the 10% off from being a forum member.

I received a call from eden rock and they said Maurice won’t budge on the price. And said If I cancel my reservation they will charge me 1440 euros total because that’s 50% of the both rentals.

All together I feel like I am getting scammed out of 396 euros times 2

I know I should of price shopped first before signing the form and sending it back. But I don’t think it’s good customer service. Especially since I’ve rented from Maurice in the past.

I don't wish to speak untoward about the business practices of any company on the island but my immediate thought is that villa companies get a strong kick back from recommending "their person" which could have something to do with the $400 euro difference in price. I guess it is the price many people pay for the convenience of not having to take the time to line up services on their own. I do planning work on Nantucket Island and learned to only recommend people that do the best job and not have the recommendation based on any monetary compensation of which I take none. It keeps things very clean and professional. I find the same sort of work down here (from what I am told) happens in the complete opposite way. If you are recommended to someone for a service, the person making the recommendation has their hand out looking for "commission". Many villa owners that are not affiliated with villa rental companies directly, do the same thing but the client is typically not made aware of the practice.

I recommend that anyone getting a recommendation from a villa owner for anything -- restaurants, car rental agencies, boat charters, VIP agencies, etc. -- should ask if the owner is getting a commission or any other form of remuneration in exchange for the recommendation. Recommendations that I make to villa clients are totally "gratis" -- nothing paid or given to me. Instead, I recommend people & service providers whom I believe provide good service and value . . . hoping to improve the client's overall villa experience.

I also had a disappointing experience with Maurice rentals recently. And likewise, it was my error that resulted in being overcharged...but from a customer service perspective I found the experience to be quite dissatisfying. It wasn’t just the refusal to adjust the charge that I found so frustrating. I made several calls and sent numerous emails that were not answered.
I found this whole situation to be quite unprofessional. Lesson learned.

That really sucks! And, it's infuriating. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this while on vacation. Would you consider reaching out to Maurice directly, maybe even in person?

Good luck!

So sorry you're dealing with that. It's a lot of money. We rent from Turbe and they offer discounts to repeat clients.

We are renting a villa again through Eden Rock...I received a call from eden rock and they said Maurice won’t budge on the price...

In light of Reed's post - have you checked what the price would be if you booked directly through Maurice? Perhaps it is ER that is not budging on the price of their services. If you find that is the case, it would be worth discussing how it would affect your future dealings with ER...

I recommend that anyone getting a recommendation from a villa owner for anything -- restaurants, car rental agencies, boat charters, VIP agencies, etc. -- should ask if the owner is getting a commission or any other form of remuneration in exchange for the recommendation. Recommendations that I make to villa clients are totally "gratis" -- nothing paid or given to me. Instead, I recommend people & service providers whom I believe provide good service and value . . . hoping to improve the client's overall villa experience.

That is one of the many reasons you have such a wonderful reputation on the island:)

99 percent of the villa owners get something from recommending a car rental agency. most of the villa owners get a free car for a week or two during the year. I would be surprised if Eden Rock is not getting a kickback from the rental car agencies. And since you are renting from Eden Rock, they should work with you on this problem, if not simple, next year take your business elsewhere. By the way Gumbs would have given you a better deal, and no I don't get any compensation for recommending them.

as far as recommending restaurants or anything else on the island, I don't know of any villa owner or agency that gets any compensation from the restaurants or anyone else for their recommendation.

Very sorry you you are having this frustration!
Agree with CEC, and note that you also have a problem with the Eden Rock rental group.
Good luck!

Very sorry you you are having this frustration!
Agree with CEC, and note that you also have a problem with the Eden Rock rental group.
Good luck!

Eden Rock Villa Rental’s could resolve this. If not, a conversation with Anne Dentel may be in order.

Thanks for all your feedback, I did hear from eden rock today about possibly getting the 10% off.
I agree with everyone on here, and admit that is my mistake to just let them go ahead to do the rental with out reaching out to get some other quotes. I do understand they need to make something on it, but 400 euro each is a really a big commission.
This is my 8th time to SBH I’ve rented from Maurice, Toploc, my car sbh, and turbe in the past.
I will be happy if they bring the price down a bit more in line with their competitors.

This year we will be staying in a completely different villa then usual. Villa Indyana will be our home for 10 nights. Can’t wait to be back on the island in 10 more days!!

This year we will be staying in a completely different villa then usual. Villa Indyana will be our home for 10 nights. Can’t wait to be back on the island in 10 more days!!

I drove by that villa dozens of times in the last month. The view should be fantastic.

Anything with the name Indyana has to be great ( from a Hoosier).
Agree on Gumbs as our only source for wheels on the island. Their service is also outstanding- had a flat in Pte. Milou- they were there literally in minutes, changing the tire.

Anything with the name Indyana has to be great ( from a Hoosier).
Agree on Gumbs as our only source for wheels on the island. Their service is also outstanding- had a flat in Pte. Milou- they were there literally in minutes, changing the tire.

Lesson learned Gumbs from now on only!! Seems to be the consensus

We experienced a flat tire on the Bonito hillside into Gustavia. Pulled over, called for roadside assistance, and a very helpful change of tire was done--all in half an hour from pulling over to heading out of town. Thank you Teddy and merci TOPLOC!