Disappointed with Maurice Car Renta

Given what we are reading here, as a Forum, we should have a position to ‘Boycott’ Maurice and/or Eden Rock Villas if the latter is part of this ‘greediness.’ SBH businesses as a whole go overboard to make sure all visitors feel welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks for all your feedback, I did hear from eden rock today about possibly getting the 10% off... I admit that is my mistake to just let them go ahead to do the rental with out reaching out to get some other quotes...
Lesson learned Gumbs from now on only!! Seems to be the consensus

Your mistake BUT I would be more than displeased if my villa rental agency engaged in a gotcha scam AND did not fully correct it when they were called on it.

The lesson I would take from this, particularly if you have discussed directly with Anne Dentel as Kevin suggested, is do not rent through Eden Rock Villas. If I am to grossly overspend through Eden Rock, I would prefer it be on the plate of penne featured in this thread (listed as €35 in the menu Cass linked) - at least the pasta might not leave a bad taste in my mouth...

Is that on the way to Gouvenour's from St. Jean? If so I too have passed it many times.

Is it considered as part of Lurin or Gouverneur?

Your mistake BUT I would be more than displeased if my villa rental agency engaged in a gotcha scam AND did not fully correct it when they were called on it.

The lesson I would take from this, particularly if you have discussed directly with Anne Dentel as Kevin suggested, is do not rent through Eden Rock Villas. If I am to grossly overspend through Eden Rock, I would prefer it be on the plate of penne featured in this thread (listed as €35 in the menu Cass linked) - at least the pasta might not leave a bad taste in my mouth...

Also something I just picked up on the eden rock website. Before when you rented through eden rock you got use of the beach chairs and umbrellas included.

I just noticed they changed the wording on their website saying if you rent a villa you can use the lounge chairs only if you have reservations at the restaurant. This is totally new and not what I was told when I booked.
Very bait and switch. I am going to email them about this as well

Is that on the way to Gouvenour's from St. Jean? If so I too have passed it many times.

Is it considered as part of Lurin or Gouverneur?

6EF5CD8C-7144-462A-B4BC-285DDDFB42A3.jpg

This is where it shows on the map.
All these years we have rented in Vitet so this is going to be a lot closer for us this year.

That location is in a little corner of Lurin, right on the edge of the "Sous le Vent" (Leeward) side of the island, and the "Au Vent" (Windward) side of the island. Looking at the Pin on the map, it is either in or near the Col Tourterelle (Turtledove Pass) between Morne Lurin and Morne Dépoudré.

Also something I just picked up on the eden rock website. Before when you rented through eden rock you got use of the beach chairs and umbrellas included. I just noticed they changed the wording on their website saying if you rent a villa you can use the lounge chairs only if you have reservations at the restaurant. This is totally new and not what I was told when I booked. Very bait and switch. I am going to email them about this as well

Eden Rock has been charging a higher service fee (12%) than other agencies. You have a reasonable expectation to receive all services that were listed at the time that you booked. The opening of the hotel certainly affects Eden Rock's ability to provide beach chairs to villa renters but the opening of the hotel was expected so advertising services that would likely not be available would be a bit shady.

The bigger ticket item though is the car rental for which it seems that there is a ~40% service fee. I agree with Kevin - Eden Rock could resolve this. To fall back on an excuse that Maurice won't budge strikes me as disingenuous, at best. Eden Rock should be sending enough business to Maurice to enable a favorable resolution on behalf of a villa renter who has entrusted the agency. Your taking responsibility for making a mistake is admirable but my opinion is that the agency should not have put you in a position to make a mistake that basically equaled the price of 1 night in your villa or a couple of lunches for two at Eden Rock...

I would follow Kevin's advice regarding with whom you should speak.

We've driven by that property many times this trip. Kevim describes it well. Driving the road to saline, turn right at Tamerin. You pass it just before the twisty turney part of he road.

The he views out towards St. Jean are stunning.

Do you have the email of ‘what’ you read’ originally when you signed the contract? Of course there may be small letters that says they have the right to change anything. It is one thing to say you thought you read or remember differently and to have the original contract in writing, including the issue of the lounge chairs. Please post the original’rules’ as it would be interesting to compare.
Make sure you hit all the travel sites with your stort- trip advisor, expedia, Robb Report, the luxury ones, Yelp and so on. Also have friends place them on the foreign sites. Reviews matter. Maybe Ellen will put this story in the Journal and help with Le News even though ER and Maurice are prominent advertisers? You are not to blame for this.

Do you have the email of ‘what’ you read’ originally when you signed the contract? Of course there may be small letters that says they have the right to change anything. It is one thing to say you thought you read or remember differently and to have the original contract in writing, including the issue of the lounge chairs. Please post the original’rules’ as it would be interesting to compare.
Make sure you hit all the travel sites with your stort- trip advisor, expedia, Robb Report, the luxury ones, Yelp and so on. Also have friends place them on the foreign sites. Reviews matter. Maybe Ellen will put this story in the Journal and help with Le News even though ER and Maurice are prominent advertisers? You are not to blame for this.

I will pull up my contract but I don't think it says anything and they probably have in fine print they can change it at any time.
This will be my 7th time renting with Eden Rock Villa Rentals, the year Irma Hit we stayed at Tom Beach, before it was Pearl
So I am pretty versed on how it has been for the past few years. Even when they had the pop up beach in Lorient they didn't make you eat lunch to use them.

As a Forum group, we are all very sorry to learn about this unfair treatment of you and your family from a group that considers themselves one of the premier establishments on the island.

Sorry you have to deal with this. I have been in your situation before (not in regards to SBH) and it's a tough pill to swallow. I don't mind companies earning a living, but I can't stand when they take advantage of the situation.

Interesting enough, Villa Indyana is villa IDA on the Wimco website:

https://www.wimco.com/villas/villa.aspx?pid=905791

You would think if you were renting through ERVR that along with the higher fees would come slightly better services (ie available beach chairs at their hotel). I guess that is not the case.

This was a villa we have been looking at. It looks wonderful, but I am not sure my wife loves it as much as some of the other ones on our list. Please post a review in the villa rental section of the forum after your visit.

I've always rented from Toploc and have been very happy. But last month they were nowhere to be found both times I arrived at the booth. When I showed up (and they had my flight info and knew when I was showing up) to pick up my car there was no one there. I had to wait about 15 minutes. I called multiple times and they didn't answer and ultimately he finally showed up. Not that 15 minutes is a huge deal, but when you aren't sure what to do or if they left for the night and what you are going to do about getting a car, especially since you prepaid and don't want to be double-charged if you get a car from someone else, or how to get in touch with them if they don't show up it's crummy customer service and a complete lack of respect for your customers IMHO. Then when departing, the booth was again empty and we waited at least another 10 minutes. Ultimately I had to leave the keys by the keyboard and email them and explain what I did. They responded some time later that they found the keys and all was well, but it left a sour taste in my mouth to be honest and has me rethinking using them again next time even though I've had nothing but great experiences with them in the past and have recommended them to others. I don't think that is how you run a rental car agency.

Looked into an early December visit and noticed that Eden Rock and others were offering the same villa we were interested in. Same price, but noticed that Eden Rock had moved the low season cut-off two weeks earlier than the other agencies.

I've always rented from Toploc and have been very happy. But last month they were nowhere to be found both times I arrived at the booth. When I showed up (and they had my flight info and knew when I was showing up) to pick up my car there was no one there. I had to wait about 15 minutes. I called multiple times and they didn't answer and ultimately he finally showed up. Not that 15 minutes is a huge deal, but when you aren't sure what to do or if they left for the night and what you are going to do about getting a car, especially since you prepaid and don't want to be double-charged if you get a car from someone else, or how to get in touch with them if they don't show up it's crummy customer service and a complete lack of respect for your customers IMHO. Then when departing, the booth was again empty and we waited at least another 10 minutes. Ultimately I had to leave the keys by the keyboard and email them and explain what I did. They responded some time later that they found the keys and all was well, but it left a sour taste in my mouth to be honest and has me rethinking using them again next time even though I've had nothing but great experiences with them in the past and have recommended them to others. I don't think that is how you run a rental car agency.

This happened to me on return last Saturday. Pulled off to the side area, went in to find Odile. No body home. Waited a few minutes. Went out to the lot looking up and down.

Then another car was behind my car and although I pulled as far over as I could, I was blocking.

So I got in my car and tried to find a place to park it. Would up in the very last spot before you exit the area. parked it and started walking back to the terminal with the idea that I would leave the keys on Gumbs counter.

Just then, Odile drove onto the lot and saw me. She stopped, apoligized and I gave her the keys.

It's kind of a cluster there!

Dont want to rub salt on your open wound, but yea, Gumbs is the way. Odile is fantastic. I recently rented 3 cars from her for less than your 2. Ick

always get in touch with the manager of a hotel, he or she is the only one that has the real authority to help in a financial problem