1,2 MILLION DE PHOTOS SUR MAPILLARY, DONT SAINT-BARTHÉLEMY

JEK

Senior Insider
mapillary.com

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 9.20.44 AM.jpg

1.2 MILLION PHOTOS ON MAPILLARY, INCLUDING SAINT-BARTHÉLEMY11/28/2019
Remember Gaël Musquet, who came to talk about technology and resilience during the last edition of Saint-Barth Smart Island, organized by CEM at Manapany last June. He had taken advantage of his stop on our island to travel in a car equipped with a 360 ° camera. Thanks to him, Saint-Barthélemy now has its own streetview, not on Google, but on www.mapillary.com. During an intervention at the presentation of innovation awards overseas, Gaël Musquet announced that Mapillary now has 1.2 million images of French overseas territories. This database can be very useful for risk prevention, crisis management and road safety. "Our territories are not photographed at the street level by the major players in cartography. The major European cities should not be the only ones to benefit from an immersive photo coverage "StreetView" with the exception of the Reunion Island, Moorea and Tahiti, Ultramarine territories are lagging behind, "detailed Gaël Musquet last Thursday at Station F, in Paris.

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 9.38.00 AM.jpg

I don't speak an gram of French, but I get the gist of it. It's Google Street View SBH. Kind of neat. I wonder if they are going to do the whole island (probably says it in the article)?

I don't speak an gram of French, but I get the gist of it. It's Google Street View SBH. Kind of neat. I wonder if they are going to do the whole island (probably says it in the article)?

From this article:
"...Mapillary... has an offbeat strategy to challenge the likes of Google and Apple in getting the kind of street-level data... While other companies send out fleets of vehicles with cameras and other sensors to gather images of the roads and keep maps updated, Mapillary has software that can ingest pictures from using any kind of camera, usually a smartphone, and relies on crowd-sourced contributors."

...something to do on the next tour de l'Île, peut-être...