My Old Friend Sirius is Riding High Tonight!

KevinS

Senior Insider
Thanks for the title, Bob Seger, a line borrowed from the lyrics of “I Wonder” - great song!

The star of the evening is the night sky itself. With the sports fan tucked into the bedroom watching Monday Night Football, the rest of the house is dark and I’m sitting on the terrace enjoying the night. The villa itself is blocking most of the artificial light in front of the villa, and there are no lights on the sea to my rear. I can sit here and enjoy a sky which would be washed out by light pollution at home.

I have a mostly-clear view to the east. The easily-spotted constellation Orion the Hunter is clear in front of me.

Orion is one key to spotting the Winter Triangle, an equilateral starry triangle of Sirius (thanks, Bob!), Procyon, and Betelgeuse.

Nearby, with Procyon spotted, is Canis Minor, the Little Dog. Once Canis Minor is located, a shift to the right reveals the less-familiar Cetus, La Baleine, The Whale. Over there, back to the left, those are Castor and Pollux from the Gemini constellation (I get extra credit when I point those out, LOL.)

High in the sky behind me are the Seven Sisters, the Pleiades.

I have the Star Walk 2 app on my iPad For bright stars and constellations which have faded from my memory, but the above are a good start. I’ll look around in a bit for the Dippers, Big and Little.

With a gentle night wind, the sound of the waves, and low-80 temperatures I’ll sit here until either the clouds roll in, or I start to nod off.

While Bon Seger may have started this post, the real theme comes from Aaron Neville, the New Orleans singer with an angelic voice.

“That's why I wander and follow la vie dansante
On the night wind that takes me just where I want
That's all I want
La vie dansante”

I’m enjoying that Night Wind..
And La Vie Dansante...

Mmmmm....A star-filled sky and Aaron Neville accompanied by crashing waves and rustling palm fronds? I'll take that!

One of my favorite memories from my trip in January was swimming under a full moon late at night.

We had a chef visit the villa that night (Villa Passage). We had decided on a chef the week before because I had wanted to watch the AFC Championship game without having to worry about much else. The chef had left by the second half, and my better half went to bed. Once the game was over, I took a dip in the pool to help relieve the stress from watching the game. The scene was similar to the pool scene from the movie Oblivion. Quite relaxing.

One of my favorite memories from my trip in January was swimming under a full moon late at night.

We had a chef visit the villa that night (Villa Passage). We had decided on a chef the week before because I had wanted to watch the AFC Championship game without having to worry about much else. The chef had left by the second half, and my better half went to bed. Once the game was over, I took a dip in the pool to help relieve the stress from watching the game. The scene was similar to the pool scene from the movie Oblivion. Quite relaxing.

Nicely done.

Different night, same stars. Same Night Wind. Same La Vie Dansante. Life is good. Thanks to both Bob and Aaron for the songs.

We live about two miles from Butler University. We are not alumna but have had season basketball tickets for a number of years. Last night we watched one of our good friends alma mater Dayton beat Virginia Tech. Then our Bull’dawgs’ went on to win the Hall of Fame Classic 68-67 with a buzzer beater over Stanford. Even though it rained and high winds- 60mph forecasted today- it was a fun sports evening.