Thread: The new Eden Rock

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2005 Glen Cove, NY Posts: 6,100

The new Eden Rock

Congrats to the Matthews family for bringing back this St Barth Icon after it got pretty much destroyed by Irma. The job took a little over 2 years, but the result is spectacular. Below is a collage of some of the new spaces, including the "submarine" type doors that can seal off the kitchen, and other important areas.

Clockwise from upper left; The New Bar; The new restaurant [pretty much the same footprint as before]; the "submarine doors"; the new entrance.

Name:  2019-11-25.JPG
Views: 739
Size:  230.0 KB

Now the ER float has couches. How did we ever get by without them?!

Name:  DSCN0806.JPG
Views: 726
Size:  473.9 KB

By the way, we also had lunch. Dover sole [sans head] for Amy, and judging by the the cooing sounds emanating from her chair, I believe she loved it. The frites, by the way, were fabulous.

Name:  DSCN0809.JPG
Views: 728
Size:  517.5 KB

Pasta for me, in a plain tomato sauce with bits of fresh Mozzarella and Parmesan.

Name:  DSCN0810.JPG
Views: 730
Size:  478.3 KB

It appears that ER is back, stronger than ever, and the new spaces are really great. Just be prepared for a bit of "sticker shock". It is St Barth, after all.

Phil

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Boston Posts: 19,985

Re: The new Eden Rock

Gorgeous! How was the service? A recurring theme that I’m seeing (not just at ER) is that the food is good, but the service is lacking.

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 25,812

The service was superb. Our server, Angelique was attentive and even delivered our thanks and praise to the chef.

What also is impressive was the team spirit..helping to bring out dishes and deliver them to tables that were not their own. The uniform colors are still red and white and the new pens are striped! I think that covers everything.

Wonderful bread basket, Fuji brand water, and adorable jars of condiments. The rattan covered overhead lighting fixtures are adorable...I look forward to seeing this stunning room at night for a soon to be booked date night dinner.
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 43,825

[QUOTE=phil62;1017376n. It appears that ER is back, stronger than ever, and the new spaces are really great. Just be prepared for a bit of "sticker shock". It is St Barth, after all.

Phil[/QUOTE]

How much can a plate of penne cost?

Andy

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2005 Glen Cove, NY Posts: 6,100

You, especially, don't want to know. Let's just say that I was quite surprised, but in fairness, it tasted pretty damn good.

Phil

I can give you a ballpark. They aspire to a €300 - €350 lunch for two, including a bottle of Rosé. They’re probably looking for more for dinner with a decent bottle of wine.

In the Rémy Bar, their drink menu starts at €18 and goes up. I won’t comment on the service.

SBH Insider Joined: Aug 2004 Pennsylvania Posts: 1,854

Thank you Phil! We will be back in February and very much looking forward to experiencing the Sand Bar again.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Ailleurs Posts: 6,348

Fils du Sud - Ministre de la Santé

If I can't wear my Havaianas, I ain't goin'...ÀMHA

Hank, our waitress explained that their may be dinner specials in addition to the carte.

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2003 Northern Virginia Posts: 1,566

Looks lovely - submarine doors are a great idea! Have to say, even in St. Barth, I think the price of pasta was a TAD high.
    Libby

SBH Insider Joined: May 2010 Toronto ON Posts: 839

Quote Originally Posted by LMAC View Post
    Looks lovely - submarine doors are a great idea! Have to say, even in St. Barth, I think the price of pasta was a TAD high.
    We had a lovely bowl of fettuccine bolognese at Manapany this afternoon for 16e. Not a bad price for such a lovely setting!

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Nantucket - St. Barth's Posts: 1,104

Quote Originally Posted by andynap View Post
    How much can a plate of penne cost?
    I was thinking the same thing Andy and I went with (being generous) 2 bucks. I will have to go there soon for pricing inspiration. It is all about the location really.
    "Like" Us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/nantucketcatering

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Ailleurs Posts: 6,348

Quote Originally Posted by Reed View Post
    It is all about the location really.
    K, we're on the same wavelength. Location, location, location. Throw in a bit of cachet for good measure.
    Fils du Sud - Ministre de la Santé

If I can't wear my Havaianas, I ain't goin'...ÀMHA

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Austin, Texas Posts: 17,117

Thanks for the review, Big Guy...it looks amazing! I think Sofia will take your cue and order that pasta dish over Amy's sole. She is still amazed that one can "walk out of the ocean to the dining table and eat amazing food while your toes are smothered in sand!" And, I can totally see her lounging on the sofas on the floating dock!
    The waves of the sea bring me back to me.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2011 Posts: 822

Coming into Thanksgiving; I know how blessed I am. Anyone that looks at the world and then reads this forum? Just the food alone and have never personally understood the toes in the sand. Many people would be grateful for not living with a dirt floor. Again I confess to looking forward to our next vacation on St. Barts. Worked hard for it, and happy for everyone that has found it.

SBH Member Joined: Jan 2017 NY Posts: 344

Great to read a thorough review since the re-opening. And it wouldn't be Eden Rock without the sticker shock. But, as we all know, you are paying for the view and the atmosphere and of course the two new suites!!!

About the view---saw lots of umbrella tops. But one could dip a bit and see the sea. We were on the main floor. Not the on the beach, not the kitchen side seating, and not the upper banquette zone.

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2013 Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. Posts: 8,693

Both meals -the sole and the pasta-look amazing. Glad the service was superb! Agree with you Jim- you have to ignore the numbers on the menu at ER. For us it is usually a one time visit for both lunch and dinner during each stay on the island. Amy - looking forward to the night time pics. Wonder if they will have their logo lit up on the water or sand as they did before?

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 5,480

Quote Originally Posted by KevinS View Post
    I can give you a ballpark. They aspire to a €300 - €350 lunch for two, including a bottle of Rosé. They’re probably looking for more for dinner with a decent bottle of wine.

In the Rémy Bar, their drink menu starts at €18 and goes up. I won’t comment on the service.
    They somehow have to pay for those sofas on their float!

Senior Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Austin, TX Posts: 9,490

Lisa and I enjoyed cocktails in the bar last night before heading to Maya's. wonderful experience.

Great cocktail list. Great bar men. Beautiful room.

We left around 8 and the dining room was pretty empty.

SBH Member Joined: Jan 2013 Long Island Posts: 213

Does anyone have a menu of the sand bar restaurant. I really loved the watermelon and goat cheese salad. And wondering if they still have it

SBH Member Joined: Jan 2013 Long Island Posts: 213

Does anyone have a menu of the sand bar restaurant. I really loved the watermelon and goat cheese salad. And wondering if they still have it

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsm6-7-08 View Post
    Scroll down to Practical Information.

https://www.oetkercollection.com/hot...ants/sand-bar/

Quote Originally Posted by amyb View Post
    About the view---saw lots of umbrella tops. But one could dip a bit and see the sea. We were on the main floor. Not the on the beach, not the kitchen side seating, and not the upper banquette zone.
    Amy, when I saw the restaurant before its opening, in a somewhat hurried viewing, the tables weren’t installed yet, so I didn’t get a full perspective of the space. I’m interested in any more “color” you can give to seating — i.e., how do you assess “main floor” vs. beach vs. banquette zone vs. kitchen side seating? (At the old Sand Bar, for example, I used to like the couple of small tables that were off to the side, near the kitchen — they were quiet & intimate for two, with a great waterside setting.)

I also was interested in Mod Dennis’ comment that the dining room was “pretty empty” around 8 PM. Sounds lovely! As evidenced by my “like” of the dining room at Le Sereno, I have no problem with uncrowded dining rooms . . . even like them! Service always is attentive . . . kitchen food prep gets very special attention . . . and the ambiance & design of such spaces shine with intrinsic refinement.

The “Renaissance” of Eden Rock, finally, has been fascinating for me. In the early years of the Matthews’ ownership of the property, & onset of its renovations, I was negative & resentful of losing the naïveté & simplicity of the place under Remy de Haenen ownership . . . wanting to hold onto old memories & pleasure. In time, however, I came to realize that it was inconceivable that the property would escape development and concluded that David & Jane Matthews were visionary in their plan for a high quality, full-service, destination lodging facility. St. Barths was changing . . . I couldn’t stop it (nor did I have any material stake in trying to do so). My thinking shifted to a desire to see the hotel’s development being done stylishly & tastefully, given the direction that I saw in growth / development on the island.

The result today looks like a “winner.” SBH no longer is the island that Wendy & I found in 1978. There still are vestiges of it . . . such connections and friendships began then & formed in intervening years are the foundation of our attachment to St. Barths. Meanwhile, change is relentless. A near-tsunami of admiration for the island has emerged since the mid-80s, & the wave of change that it produced sometimes confounds. In all of this change, Eden Rock stands out for style & excellence.

Dennis, I think those tables by the kitchen have the best view of the sea, the lovely restaurant, and the dishes coming out of that kitchen and carried by the adorable and efficient staff.

Quote Originally Posted by amyb View Post
    Dennis, I think those tables by the kitchen have the best view of the sea, the lovely restaurant, and the dishes coming out by the adorable and efficient staff.
    You know how I value your opinion, Amy . . . much appreciated!

I am guessing for dinner the umbrellas are removed or at least collapsed and tied closed.