The new Eden Rock

phil62

Senior Insider
Congrats to the Matthews family for bringing back this St Barth Icon after it got pretty much destroyed by Irma. The job took a little over 2 years, but the result is spectacular. Below is a collage of some of the new spaces, including the "submarine" type doors that can seal off the kitchen, and other important areas.

Clockwise from upper left; The New Bar; The new restaurant [pretty much the same footprint as before]; the "submarine doors"; the new entrance.

2019-11-25.JPG

Now the ER float has couches. How did we ever get by without them?!

DSCN0806.JPG

By the way, we also had lunch. Dover sole [sans head] for Amy, and judging by the the cooing sounds emanating from her chair, I believe she loved it. The frites, by the way, were fabulous.

DSCN0809.JPG

Pasta for me, in a plain tomato sauce with bits of fresh Mozzarella and Parmesan.

DSCN0810.JPG

It appears that ER is back, stronger than ever, and the new spaces are really great. Just be prepared for a bit of "sticker shock". It is St Barth, after all.

Phil

Gorgeous! How was the service? A recurring theme that I’m seeing (not just at ER) is that the food is good, but the service is lacking.

The service was superb. Our server, Angelique was attentive and even delivered our thanks and praise to the chef.

What also is impressive was the team spirit..helping to bring out dishes and deliver them to tables that were not their own. The uniform colors are still red and white and the new pens are striped! I think that covers everything.

Wonderful bread basket, Fuji brand water, and adorable jars of condiments. The rattan covered overhead lighting fixtures are adorable...I look forward to seeing this stunning room at night for a soon to be booked date night dinner.

You, especially, don't want to know. Let's just say that I was quite surprised, but in fairness, it tasted pretty damn good.

Phil

I can give you a ballpark. They aspire to a €300 - €350 lunch for two, including a bottle of Rosé. They’re probably looking for more for dinner with a decent bottle of wine.

In the Rémy Bar, their drink menu starts at €18 and goes up. I won’t comment on the service.

Thank you Phil! We will be back in February and very much looking forward to experiencing the Sand Bar again.

Hank, our waitress explained that their may be dinner specials in addition to the carte.

Looks lovely - submarine doors are a great idea! Have to say, even in St. Barth, I think the price of pasta was a TAD high.

Looks lovely - submarine doors are a great idea! Have to say, even in St. Barth, I think the price of pasta was a TAD high.

We had a lovely bowl of fettuccine bolognese at Manapany this afternoon for 16e. Not a bad price for such a lovely setting!

How much can a plate of penne cost? :biglaugh:

I was thinking the same thing Andy and I went with (being generous) 2 bucks. I will have to go there soon for pricing inspiration;). It is all about the location really.

Thanks for the review, Big Guy...it looks amazing! I think Sofia will take your cue and order that pasta dish over Amy's sole. :blush-smile: She is still amazed that one can "walk out of the ocean to the dining table and eat amazing food while your toes are smothered in sand!" And, I can totally see her lounging on the sofas on the floating dock!

Coming into Thanksgiving; I know how blessed I am. Anyone that looks at the world and then reads this forum? Just the food alone and have never personally understood the toes in the sand. Many people would be grateful for not living with a dirt floor. Again I confess to looking forward to our next vacation on St. Barts. Worked hard for it, and happy for everyone that has found it.

Great to read a thorough review since the re-opening. And it wouldn't be Eden Rock without the sticker shock. But, as we all know, you are paying for the view and the atmosphere and of course the two new suites!!!

About the view---saw lots of umbrella tops. But one could dip a bit and see the sea. We were on the main floor. Not the on the beach, not the kitchen side seating, and not the upper banquette zone.

Both meals -the sole and the pasta-look amazing. Glad the service was superb! Agree with you Jim- you have to ignore the numbers on the menu at ER. For us it is usually a one time visit for both lunch and dinner during each stay on the island. Amy - looking forward to the night time pics. Wonder if they will have their logo lit up on the water or sand as they did before?

I can give you a ballpark. They aspire to a €300 - €350 lunch for two, including a bottle of Rosé. They’re probably looking for more for dinner with a decent bottle of wine.

In the Rémy Bar, their drink menu starts at €18 and goes up. I won’t comment on the service.

They somehow have to pay for those sofas on their float!

Lisa and I enjoyed cocktails in the bar last night before heading to Maya's. wonderful experience.

Great cocktail list. Great bar men. Beautiful room.

We left around 8 and the dining room was pretty empty.