Eden Rock today

didier

Senior Insider
good food, good friends and the view was nice! the place was full by the time we left around 2, we got there at 12. A few locals there checking it out, one is an owner of another restaurant on the island.

IMG_1319.JPG

e

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 6.03.16 PM.jpg

AFTER TWO YEARS OF WORK, REENVERTURE EVENT OF EDEN ROCK
by V.A 21/11/2019
This is the event of this beginning of the season: the reopening of Eden Rock. The hotel in its new version welcomed its first customers this week. Tour of the owner.

No reception as in most establishments: guests are greeted directly, after having climbed a few large steps, in the Remy's Bar, named in honor of Remy de Haenen, creator of the place. The current owners, Jane and David Matthews, bought the hotel in 1995, and were joined by the Oetker Collection group five years ago. Exit the reception, then, and also exit the restaurant On The Rock, replaced by the Sand Bar, directly on the beach. The management wanted to avoid the duplication and seized the opportunity to endow the hotel with what it lacked heavily: a real spa, on the rock. Three cabins in shimmering gray tones, entirely filled with Ligne Saint-Barth products.

The rock itself, which will now be home to luxury suites - especially the Frégate suite on three levels, from 2,500 euros per night - will only reopen entirely in March. The latest works are in progress, but hardly visible from the outside.

Around the rock, the openings are submarine doors that give a charming style to the decor, besides their usefulness in the event of a cyclone; the building that houses the Remy's Bar and Sand Bar was also designed to be stronger, with deeper foundations.

On the old Filao side, the famous Rock Star villa and adjoining rooms form an arc-circle around the beach bar built in hard. The Eden Rock took advantage of its reconstruction to re-arrange the premises, but also to expand, since it passes from 34 to 37 rooms. This forced closure by Irma has had a positive outcome: the rental activity Eden Rock Villa Rental, with a portfolio of 130 villas, has grown considerably. The usual customers of Eden Rock (half are faithful returning each year) have found the services of the establishment in villa, and obviously have taken taste. The hotel employs two hundred people to pamper its guests.

The Sand Bar, whose menu has been concocted by Jean-Georges Vongerichten, three stars and at the head of nearly forty restaurants around the world, for 4,500 employees in total, offers lunchtime a panel of plates to share, d entrees, pizzas and dishes, lunchtime. It officially opened yesterday, but Monday and Tuesday noon, the first customers tasted in preview parmesan crusted chicken or cloud coconut. "We're not even officially open, but we made 80 covers Monday noon," smiled Fabrice Moizan, director of Eden Rock, happy to see the end of 24 months of heavy work. Bookings are open since April, and "the season is coming ... exceptional. "

tomato & mango salad was especially nice!
I too was there for lunch on Thursday. We tried the tomato mango salad, burrata with passion fruit, cheeseburger (served with delicious caramelized onions) and watermelon salad. All delicious, and the service very attentive. Heading back for dinner later this week. They’ve done a beautiful job all around at Eden Rock. As expected!

"The rock itself, which will now be home to luxury suites - especially the Frégate suite on three levels, from 2,500 euros per night - will only reopen entirely in March."
This makes more sense to me now. I couldn't figure out how those new suites were going to be ready when I read that they were still on target for opening this month. Maybe whomever rents those suites will let me look out the window and revisit that classic On The Rocks view at night looking down on St Jean and the illuminated Eden Rock sign on the water...:sad1: