Check your airline frequently

Check American. My daughter's flt into and out of SXM changed significantly Jan 1, worst I have ever seen (they could not get back to Nashville same day and would have an overnight in CLT). Unacceptable with 3 children. Fortunately, AA allowed me to be refunded and they are now on Delta. We are not affected, as we go thru SJU then Tradewinds. I have noticed over the years, sometimes I am notified and sometime Not.
Check often is my advice.

Oh Chipper..so glad you could come to their rescue. It is indeed quite a bummer when a trip ends on a bad note.

We too have been hit with AA flight and schedule changes to our non-refundable tickets for our first ever SB trip in April for Les Voiles. This, of course wipes out our SBC flights. AA has not notified us. Changes discovered just now by following the excellent advice in the title of this thread. Here's our dilemma: when we booked back in July, we didn't anticipate a worsening health issue that would make us reluctant to be away from home and our docs/therapists for 10 days. We don't want to cancel our trip altogether, but would like to shorten it by 4 or 5 days. Does AA's unilateral change provide any leverage for obtaining earlier flights home without a change fee? What say you expert air warriors?

BTW, the change is not as dire as for Chipper's daughter traveling with 3 children. It's a 2-hour delay in both directions between CLT and SXM. We do miss our SBC flights, however.

BTW, the change is not as dire as for Chipper's daughter traveling with 3 children. It's a 2-hour delay in both directions between CLT and SXM. We do miss our SBC flights, however.
If your flight time was changed by 2 hours or more, you should be able to request a refund. Been there, done that with AA. Have had better luck with Delta for our last few trips.

Thanks for the info Tiffany and for the good wishes Hopper. This is surely a learning experience! It'll be interesting to see how flexible SBC and our two lodging venues will be. Luckily we didn't sign on for paid (we pay) crew spots on one of the boats. We still hope to get out on the water tho'. You must all be logistics geniuses!

You must all be logistics geniuses!

Not really...We just spent all morning moving our April trip around by two weeks because we realized we had booked it during our daughter's prom. WIMCO and Delta super easy to change, now to deal with Winair! Good luck with your planning. :)