Thread: Le Barthelemy or Manapany

SBH Member Joined: Nov 2019 Posts: 11

Le Barthelemy or Manapany

Would love some opinions/ info.We are planning a trip to SB in March with another family (4 young teens total) and are currently booked at Le Barthelemy. Seems like that hotel is a bit far from the action and we will be there over a regatta weekend. Thinking of staying at the newly reconstructed Manapany. Wondering if anyone has any info on that hotel or opinions regarding these two hotels? Are the hotels comparable luxury-wise (tho I understand Manapany seems to be more eco-chic)? Manapany definitely seems like a better location and nicer beach, but Le B seems to be a more luxurious hotel?

SBH Insider Joined: Jun 2014 Virginia Beach, VA Posts: 656

Re: Le Barthelemy or Manapany

With what you will pay to stay at those hotels with that many people, you could get a really nice villa. If your teens are into water sports, they may prefer Le B. To give the kids more things to do, you may want to look at Pearl Beach hotel...nice beach, plane watching, dining, shopping, track/soccer field, etc all within walking distance. I think they would get bored at Manapany after a day or two.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2011 Posts: 745

Quote Originally Posted by emcash View Post
    Would love some opinions/ info.We are planning a trip to SB in March with another family (4 young teens total) and are currently booked at Le Barthelemy. Seems like that hotel is a bit far from the action and we will be there over a regatta weekend. Thinking of staying at the newly reconstructed Manapany. Wondering if anyone has any info on that hotel or opinions regarding these two hotels? Are the hotels comparable luxury-wise (tho I understand Manapany seems to be more eco-chic)? Manapany definitely seems like a better location and nicer beach, but Le B seems to be a more luxurious hotel?
    Stayed in a villa on Anse de Caye and did not enjoy the area or beach. Extreme amount of coral rock. Manapany has an ok beach, but far from the nicest beaches on st. Barts.

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Boston Posts: 19,856

If the teens are into water sports then Le Barthelemy is a better choice. There is wind surfing, kite surfing, paddle boarding, diving, kayaks, etc., all on a fairly calm bay. I haven’t been by Manapany in a long time, but my recollection of the beach there is that it wasn’t great. I don’t know what Manapany has for water sports, and the water will be rougher. Distance-wise, the Manapany is 10 minutes closer to St Jean and Gustavia, both of which are a 5-10 minute drive away.

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2013 Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. Posts: 8,372

We agree on the Villa suggestion given the number of people and costs of either hotel. Between the two hotels, definitely Le Barthelemy for the same reasons Kevin gave you. Pearl Beach has a great location but Barthelemy has both the watersports available on a nice bay and can be more laid back when you want a little rnr.
    Bon Voyage!

Thanks everyone. We had looked into a villa rental, but the consensus is hotel preferred. Love the idea of Le Barthelemy, just hate that it's far from many of the restaurants and beaches we want to go to and thought that during the regatta weekend it would be more fun to be centrally located.

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 25,627

Both those hotels you are looking into are off the beaten path. Can any of the young adults drive? Then again, would you want them driving here?
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

[QUOTE=amyb;1016892]Both those hotels you are looking into are off the beaten path. Can any of the young adults drive? Then again, would you want them driving here?[/QUOTE

No, they are young teens. I"m nervous enough driving there! Also part of the reason having second thoughts on Le B

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 43,719

[QUOTE=emcash;1016896]
    Quote Originally Posted by amyb View Post
    Both those hotels you are looking into are off the beaten path. Can any of the young adults drive? Then again, would you want them driving here?[/QUOTE

No, they are young teens. I"m nervous enough driving there! Also part of the reason having second thoughts on Le B
    Have you looked at Pearl Beach? It’s on St Jean and plenty of action.

Andy

SBH Member Joined: Nov 2017 Westchester, NY Posts: 66

Le B is a distance from Gustavia. My husband and I stayed at Manapany years ago (before the renovation) and the beach is not a swimming beach - lots of coral.

I agree with the others in suggesting Pearl. I would add Eden Rock too but they will likely be booked and even pricier than Le B or Manapany.

After many years of staying in hotels, we've chosen to go the villa route and have been extremely happy. We book through Eden Rock who provides concierge services, etc. We are well taken care of and receive service on par with staying at a hotel. It's also a bonus to have your own private pool, particularly for kids and teens. If you can get a villa in the St. Jean area, that would be my suggestion.

[QUOTE=andynap;1016914]

Have you looked at Pearl Beach? It’s on St Jean and plenty of action.

Fully booked unfortunately. it looks great

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 25,627

Look into Village St Jean
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

Quote Originally Posted by amyb View Post
    Look into Village St Jean
    Agree...we have stayed on their property for over 30 years..recently in their private villa..wonderful friendly loyal staff...several types of villa accommodations most with mini kitchenettes...also a shared pool and work out gym on property...up the hill from St. Jean within walking distance to one of the nicest swimming beaches and great restaurants...very safe walk to and fro for young teens...
    I would also ask about their 2 more bigger private villas...great for big families and one has its own pool.
    Steve and Aimee

What about Villa Marie? Thoughts?

Thats the farthest of all

Andy

Oh?! I thought from the map it was central! Shows how much I know! :)

BTW- of the 2 you mentioned I would take Le Bart.

Andy

SBH Member Joined: Mar 2014 Houston Posts: 317

I know it's been decided, but of the two I would take a villa.

Christopher has a great pool and restaurants but is isolated.

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Nantucket - St. Barth's Posts: 1,104

Thanks everyone. We had looked into a villa rental, but the consensus is hotel preferred. Love the idea of Le Barthelemy, just hate that it's far from many of the restaurants and beaches we want to go to and thought that during the regatta weekend it would be more fun to be centrally located.
    The beach at Le Barthelemy is not very welcoming IMHO. The water has a very mucky like feel. Might I suggest a place like Les Islets on St. Jean. Hotel like but with a little kitchen and fridge you can keep snacks in and right on the beach. Kids can walk down the beach and find a great wind surf rental place and other water toys. You would be able to walk to Eden Rock, Lil Rock and Pearl Beach for lunch as well as Niki Beach. Easy walking distance to shops.
    "Like" Us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/nantucketcatering

SBH Insider Joined: May 2011 Posts: 745

Good advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Reed View Post
    The beach at Le Barthelemy is not very welcoming IMHO. The water has a very mucky like feel. Might I suggest a place like Les Islets on St. Jean. Hotel like but with a little kitchen and fridge you can keep snacks in and right on the beach. Kids can walk down the beach and find a great wind surf rental place and other water toys. You would be able to walk to Eden Rock, Lil Rock and Pearl Beach for lunch as well as Niki Beach. Easy walking distance to shops.
    I punched a couple of March dates for 4 people and nothing available

Andy

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2005 Cambridge, MA Posts: 7,366

You mentioned luxury a few times. Le Barthelemy is absolutely splendid and (IMHO) more luxurious than Manapany. That being said, it is a further drive from St. Jean and Gustavia and it's on a murky lagoon. It will be a dark 15-20 minutes back from Gustavia at night, but only five minutes or so from the restaurants in Saline and 10 minutes from St. Jean.

My recommendation for a luxury hotel with beach amenities and proximity to Gustavia would be the new Carl Gustaf hotel in Gustavia (beach amenities at Shellona) or Eden Rock in St. Jean. Given that you'll need a few rooms during high season, you could rent two stunning villas with daily maid service and provisioning for far less dollars/euros.
    Liberté, Égalité, Sororité

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Ailleurs Posts: 6,287

not sure I would call GCdS "murky". it is a lagoon, with its reef barrier, and is very shallow, but I think the waters are generally clear, n'est-ce pas ?
    Fils du Sud - Ministre de la Santé

If I can't wear my Havaianas, I ain't goin'...ŔMHA

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 5,372

Quote Originally Posted by cassidain View Post
    not sure I would call GCdS "murky". it is a lagoon, with its reef barrier, and is very shallow, but I think the waters are generally clear, n'est-ce pas ?
    D'accord.

Quote Originally Posted by andynap View Post
    Thats the farthest of all

Did you mean Villa Marie is the farthest of all? It seems from the maps that it's 10 minutes from gustavia and from st. jean? Le Barthelemy seems to be 20 minutes from Gustavia? is this correct?

Did you mean Villa Marie is the farthest of all? It seems from the maps that it's 10 minutes from gustavia and from st. jean? Le Barthelemy seems to be 20 minutes from Gustavia? is this correct?
    Ah. It depends where you consider the action. I used St Jean as a center for action. It has a great beach, hotels, airport and restaurants. Gustavia is the center for businesses and has shops, restaurants and harbor. Nothing is really that far from anything else on an island 8 miles in length. As you drive thru Lorient you will pass a Church, 2 bakeries, 2 small shopping centers, several restaurants, a pharmacy and several nice shops and the major grocery store on the island. If you go cross island you will be close to 3 of the best restaurants on the island.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by andynap View Post
    Ah. It depends where you consider the action. I used St Jean as a center for action. It has a great beach, hotels, airport and restaurants. Gustavia is the center for businesses and has shops, restaurants and harbor. Nothing is really that far from anything else on an island 8 miles in length. As you drive from Lorient you will pass a Church, 2 bakeries, 2 small shopping centers, several restaurants, a pharmacy and several nice shops and the major grocery store on the island. If you go cross island you will be close to 3 of the best restaurants on the island.

Ah, so I'm ten minutes from St. jean whether from Le B or from Villa Marie. I was thinking lots of restaurants seem to be in gustavia, which is 20 minutes from Le B, but many great ones near Le B.

Thanks so much, this group is very nice and very helpful!

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2005 Cambridge, MA Posts: 7,366

Quote Originally Posted by cassidain View Post
    That wasn't our experience. In early August we spent a splendid day at the spa and pool and enjoyed a wonderful lunch at Le Barthelemy. At that time, the water was not so clear. Sargassum-related, perhaps?

We all thought the property was fabulous - design, pool, spa, restaurant and service - and loved our day there.
    Liberté, Égalité, Sororité

Agree with you Dennis and Diane on the clear waters of GCDS.