Le Barthelemy or Manapany

emcash

SBH Member
Would love some opinions/ info.We are planning a trip to SB in March with another family (4 young teens total) and are currently booked at Le Barthelemy. Seems like that hotel is a bit far from the action and we will be there over a regatta weekend. Thinking of staying at the newly reconstructed Manapany. Wondering if anyone has any info on that hotel or opinions regarding these two hotels? Are the hotels comparable luxury-wise (tho I understand Manapany seems to be more eco-chic)? Manapany definitely seems like a better location and nicer beach, but Le B seems to be a more luxurious hotel?

With what you will pay to stay at those hotels with that many people, you could get a really nice villa. If your teens are into water sports, they may prefer Le B. To give the kids more things to do, you may want to look at Pearl Beach hotel...nice beach, plane watching, dining, shopping, track/soccer field, etc all within walking distance. I think they would get bored at Manapany after a day or two.

Would love some opinions/ info.We are planning a trip to SB in March with another family (4 young teens total) and are currently booked at Le Barthelemy. Seems like that hotel is a bit far from the action and we will be there over a regatta weekend. Thinking of staying at the newly reconstructed Manapany. Wondering if anyone has any info on that hotel or opinions regarding these two hotels? Are the hotels comparable luxury-wise (tho I understand Manapany seems to be more eco-chic)? Manapany definitely seems like a better location and nicer beach, but Le B seems to be a more luxurious hotel?
Stayed in a villa on Anse de Caye and did not enjoy the area or beach. Extreme amount of coral rock. Manapany has an ok beach, but far from the nicest beaches on st. Barts.

If the teens are into water sports then Le Barthelemy is a better choice. There is wind surfing, kite surfing, paddle boarding, diving, kayaks, etc., all on a fairly calm bay. I haven’t been by Manapany in a long time, but my recollection of the beach there is that it wasn’t great. I don’t know what Manapany has for water sports, and the water will be rougher. Distance-wise, the Manapany is 10 minutes closer to St Jean and Gustavia, both of which are a 5-10 minute drive away.

We agree on the Villa suggestion given the number of people and costs of either hotel. Between the two hotels, definitely Le Barthelemy for the same reasons Kevin gave you. Pearl Beach has a great location but Barthelemy has both the watersports available on a nice bay and can be more laid back when you want a little rnr.
Bon Voyage!

Thanks everyone. We had looked into a villa rental, but the consensus is hotel preferred. Love the idea of Le Barthelemy, just hate that it's far from many of the restaurants and beaches we want to go to and thought that during the regatta weekend it would be more fun to be centrally located.

Both those hotels you are looking into are off the beaten path. Can any of the young adults drive? Then again, would you want them driving here?

Both those hotels you are looking into are off the beaten path. Can any of the young adults drive? Then again, would you want them driving here?[/QUOTE

No, they are young teens. I"m nervous enough driving there! Also part of the reason having second thoughts on Le B

Both those hotels you are looking into are off the beaten path. Can any of the young adults drive? Then again, would you want them driving here?[/QUOTE

No, they are young teens. I"m nervous enough driving there! Also part of the reason having second thoughts on Le B

Have you looked at Pearl Beach? It’s on St Jean and plenty of action.

Le B is a distance from Gustavia. My husband and I stayed at Manapany years ago (before the renovation) and the beach is not a swimming beach - lots of coral.

I agree with the others in suggesting Pearl. I would add Eden Rock too but they will likely be booked and even pricier than Le B or Manapany.

After many years of staying in hotels, we've chosen to go the villa route and have been extremely happy. We book through Eden Rock who provides concierge services, etc. We are well taken care of and receive service on par with staying at a hotel. It's also a bonus to have your own private pool, particularly for kids and teens. If you can get a villa in the St. Jean area, that would be my suggestion.

Look into Village St Jean

Agree...we have stayed on their property for over 30 years..recently in their private villa..wonderful friendly loyal staff...several types of villa accommodations most with mini kitchenettes...also a shared pool and work out gym on property...up the hill from St. Jean within walking distance to one of the nicest swimming beaches and great restaurants...very safe walk to and fro for young teens...
I would also ask about their 2 more bigger private villas...great for big families and one has its own pool.

Thanks everyone. We had looked into a villa rental, but the consensus is hotel preferred. Love the idea of Le Barthelemy, just hate that it's far from many of the restaurants and beaches we want to go to and thought that during the regatta weekend it would be more fun to be centrally located.

The beach at Le Barthelemy is not very welcoming IMHO. The water has a very mucky like feel. Might I suggest a place like Les Islets on St. Jean. Hotel like but with a little kitchen and fridge you can keep snacks in and right on the beach. Kids can walk down the beach and find a great wind surf rental place and other water toys. You would be able to walk to Eden Rock, Lil Rock and Pearl Beach for lunch as well as Niki Beach. Easy walking distance to shops.