Sunday Morning Brings the Dawning

KevinS

Senior Insider
I missed dawn this morning, which I attribute to failed attempts to watch last night’s Leonids Meteor Shower. The hours between midnight and dawn were forecast to be the peak viewing time for this year’s Leonids.

Dinner with friends ran longer than expected last night - 3.5 hours - but the company, the conversation, and the food were all well worth it. Returning home after 23:00, it was no problem to stay up past midnight and have a look for shooting stars - “les étoiles filante”. Between the bright Waning Gibous Moon, and the cloud cover in the direction where I expected to find the constellation Leo, there was nothing to be seen.

A second attempt to view the Leonids at 03:30 was also stymied. Again there was bright moonlight, but now the clouds covered most of the sky, and I had no interest in sitting and hoping that something would appear in the small clear portion of the sky.

The early morning is a repeat of yesterday, as will tomorrow be, and the day after, and the day after... me, the morning light, and the never-ending waves which provide both the primary visual and the soundtrack. Counting sheep has nothing on counting waves, LOL, and I’ve been known to doze off while just sitting and watching...

This morning, there is a lone dove hopping between the palm trees. The surf is calm, and there is not a “dawn patrol” surfer in sight. The air is still, and the palm fronds barely move. It remains to be seen whether the heat of the day will push me towards the pool or the ocean.

Breakfast this morning will be Steak and Eggs. A friend has gifted us with some fresh local farm eggs, and I have a few ounces of leftover Ribeye from a recent dinner (a 300 gram steak is about 10.6 ounces, more than I will eat at any one time). Mimosas just may be on the menu too...

Later plans include lunch at Santa Fé, but that’s as far as I’ve gotten on my day. That and gas. I never did make it to the gas station yesterday, so today will be chip-and-pin day at the airport gas station. Then there’s the start of the Cata Cup, 2-man catamaran races which will pass by our villa. After that, who knows... Dinner? Haven’t even thought about it.

The music this morning will begin with a double nod to friend and photographer Eddie Hirschfield. Years ago, a mention by him of Sunday Morning reminded me of the song as recorded by The Velvet Underground & Nico. Today’s music will begin with another version of the song, as recorded by Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs. Thanks Ed!

“Sunday Morning brings the dawning
It’s just a restless feeling by my side”

CF544A9B-6B5D-4946-800C-164A36552A8B.jpg

Beautiful! Have a great Sunday! Hello to Kate.
i wish I had something profound today but I’m just grading papers. LOL

Looks like a plan! We still are practicing the art of doing nothing. And the Cowboys will play for Phil ‘s afternoon entertainment.

I have begun reading the “Olive Kitteridge” sequel, OLIVE, AGAIN by Elizabeth Strout. You will find me reading on my front porch if you choose to drop by while in the neighborhood.

We will be at the COLTS game this afternoon. Where did you dine that took 3 1/2 hours? Even with good company that is a lot of sittin’ time.

I missed dawn this morning, which I attribute to failed attempts to watch last night’s Leonids Meteor Shower. The hours between midnight and dawn were forecast to be the peak viewing time for this year’s Leonids.

Dinner with friends ran longer than expected last night - 3.5 hours - but the company, the conversation, and the food were all well worth it. Returning home after 23:00, it was no problem to stay up past midnight and have a look for shooting stars - “les étoiles filante”. Between the bright Waning Gibous Moon, and the cloud cover in the direction where I expected to find the constellation Leo, there was nothing to be seen.

A second attempt to view the Leonids at 03:30 was also stymied. Again there was bright moonlight, but now the clouds covered most of the sky, and I had no interest in sitting and hoping that something would appear in the small clear portion of the sky.

The early morning is a repeat of yesterday, as will tomorrow be, and the day after, and the day after... me, the morning light, and the never-ending waves which provide both the primary visual and the soundtrack. Counting sheep has nothing on counting waves, LOL, and I’ve been known to doze off while just sitting and watching...

This morning, there is a lone dove hopping between the palm trees. The surf is calm, and there is not a “dawn patrol” surfer in sight. The air is still, and the palm fronds barely move. It remains to be seen whether the heat of the day will push me towards the pool or the ocean.

Breakfast this morning will be Steak and Eggs. A friend has gifted us with some fresh local farm eggs, and I have a few ounces of leftover Ribeye from a recent dinner (a 300 gram steak is about 10.6 ounces, more than I will eat at any one time). Mimosas just may be on the menu too...

Later plans include lunch at Santa Fé, but that’s as far as I’ve gotten on my day. That and gas. I never did make it to the gas station yesterday, so today will be chip-and-pin day at the airport gas station. Then there’s the start of the Cata Cup, 2-man catamaran races which will pass by our villa. After that, who knows... Dinner? Haven’t even thought about it.

The music this morning will begin with a double nod to friend and photographer Eddie Hirschfield. Years ago, a mention by him of Sunday Morning reminded me of the song as recorded by The Velvet Underground & Nico. Today’s music will begin with another version of the song, as recorded by Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs. Thanks Ed!

“Sunday Morning brings the dawning
It’s just a restless feeling by my side”

View attachment 50593
Kris Kristofferson " Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down "

Have a great day! I’m almost finished. This will be my last year in the classroom, ��

Have a great day! I’m almost finished. This will be my last year in the classroom, ��
I'm sure you had a lasting impression on many students. At the age of 69 still remember teachers that got me through a tough home life. In fact my older brother and I were discussing this yesterday