Sun "Canopies" on SB?

KeithJake

SBH Insider
I missed the 2019 & 2018 seasons, but will be back for 2020! This past summer, we were at Charleston and the "Shibumi Shade" showed up this year and they are awesome. I believe some US beaches classify them as "canopies" and are not allowed. I visited several folks who had Shibumi's and they are incredibly well done and simple to use. I am considering purchasing one. If SB does not have a rule against them, then I am all in. I don't know how to describe them but I will put the link below (I have no affiliation!).

https://shibumishade.com/pages/faq

And I still love that one of my favorite photos is still in the title bar above (look out for my swollen head :tongue:)

We have seen a variety of ‘structures’ on beaches around the island- Mostly umbrellas that are often blown out of shape or away. Also weighted down heavy duty plastic where numerous people have been under. We know of no regulations that prohibit large ‘shades’ but the Shibumi could be a test. We have never seen Gendarmes out patrolling beaches as we often see in other countries.

st. barths rarely has rules about anything that they bother to enforce. ( dogs on the beach as an example)

if it does not bother others, then the gendarmes would not care.

Our beaches are covered with them and they are really nice in light to normal wind. However, in a stronger wind, they are really noisy with the flapping sound the cover makes...that could be an issue on some of the windier beaches in St. Barts. It won’t blow away though.

My father enjoys the beach but has to be careful in the sun due skin issues. We purchased a similar shade for last season. It was very difficult to set up properly in the wind - even following the instructions. We tried our best but ultimately ended up putting it away. Not sure if we'll bring it again this season.

No. The so on kind of covers time. The question is do we wrap ourselves in protective bubbles or enjoy life.

Sitting on the beach under a sun shade to extend my time allowed on the beach to enjoy life is wrapping myself in a protective bubble? Not following.

My father enjoys the beach but has to be careful in the sun due skin issues. We purchased a similar shade for last season. It was very difficult to set up properly in the wind - even following the instructions. We tried our best but ultimately ended up putting it away. Not sure if we'll bring it again this season.
Starting around 2001 we had a 'shelter' from LL Bean that our young kids could play and relax in when and then go right back to enjoying the beaches. I can see how setting something like this one up can get very frustrating very quickly!

Our beaches are covered with them and they are really nice in light to normal wind. However, in a stronger wind, they are really noisy with the flapping sound the cover makes...that could be an issue on some of the windier beaches in St. Barts. It won’t blow away though.

VA Beach allows them (as of now)? Awesome! We have relatives there and spend as much time as we can living in their house and going to the beach (but not this year :-(.). Maybe I will get them one too as a thank you. Yes, I can see how they would be noisy in a heavy wind. One year on Saline we had wind out of control and it was awesome and sucked at the same time... but it is SB - so no worries :)!

VA Beach allows them (as of now)? Awesome! We have relatives there and spend as much time as we can living in their house and going to the beach (but not this year :-(.). Maybe I will get them one too as a thank you. Yes, I can see how they would be noisy in a heavy wind. One year on Saline we had wind out of control and it was awesome and sucked at the same time... but it is SB - so no worries :)!
The Shibumi is really easy to set up, and light. Just noisy. We’re on the North End of the beach and they’re becoming as popular as umbrellas. If you don’t have one yet, you may want to get it when they’re available, they sell out from time to time and you have to get on a wait list. They should be stocked up for the holidays.

It looks like it packs down small! Also thinking of bringing our beach shelter, it pops open easily but I don't know how I would bring it. It's cheaper than that shibumi... also no affiliation. More privacy and sun block when you want it =] It's our beach villa :laughing-cry:

https://www.lightspeedoutdoors.com/

It looks like it packs down small! Also thinking of bringing our beach shelter, it pops open easily but I don't know how I would bring it. It's cheaper than that shibumi... also no affiliation. More privacy and sun block when you want it =] It's our beach villa :laughing-cry:

https://www.lightspeedoutdoors.com/

Beach Villa Indeed :heart1:

Those look like the LL Bean one we have (actually our second one). I really like them and using the sand bag anchors you bury in the sand are very effective. FWIW, our luggage are rollers with a solid base and soft top. I can put the sunshade in the lower section with the snorkeling gear and have the upper for clothes. The shelter was perfect when the girls were little. Now, they are almost all grown up and the shelter would be mostly for me :). I really only need the shade and would like to trade the bigger shelter for something even more portable. The difference between SBH and Charleston is bringing beach chairs to setup under the shade is easy when you drive to the beach from home :)!

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/86182?page=sunbuster-folding-shelter

We’re thinking about getting a neso tent sunshade from rei. We saw a few on our last trip, mainly on saline that seemed to be working well. Much better than anything else we encountered...especially our inside out umbrellas from the villa. Took a fair bit of googling to locate, but I’m sure my very fair skinned husband will appreciate it.