Attention Texans! Advise needed

United has a nonstop Houston > San Juan but it looks like it gets in too late to make the Tradewind flight....

The United flight lands about 3:45. We did it last year and the Tradewind flight left around 5:30. Love that time of the day on the island and landing as the sun was setting was enjoyable. This time, Tradewind's last flight is 4:30. There is an interline agreement, so luggage will go straight through, so we've considered attempting it, especially if we fly first class and can quickly exit the plane. I called Tradewind and they advised against it, but would help us get a hotel room at the airport and put us on the first available flight in morning in case it didn't work out. There is also an overnight non-stop landing at 5:30 am and an early Tradewind. Losing that intermediate stop (CLT, MIA, ATL) and bypassing SXM is tempting to try either option.

[FONT=&quot]
Roundtrip price for 1 traveler, including taxes and fees: $1,215.77

Free Cancellation within 24 hours of booking![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6:00am to 9:03am 2h 3m6:00am to 9:03am 2h 3m

• Dallas to Atlanta
  • Dallas-Fort Worth Intl. (DFW) to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Intl. (ATL)
  • Delta 1890
  • Economy / Coach (H)
  • Airbus A321

layover 54m stop Atlanta (ATL)
9:57am to 1:49pm 3h 52m9:57am to 1:49pm 3h 52m

• Atlanta to Philipsburg
  • Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Intl. (ATL) to Princess Juliana Intl. (SXM)
  • Delta 908
  • Economy / Coach (H)
  • Boeing 757 | Food For Purchase

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Roundtrip price for 1 traveler, including taxes and fees: $1,215.77

Free Cancellation within 24 hours of booking![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6:00am to 9:03am 2h 3m6:00am to 9:03am 2h 3m

• Dallas to Atlanta
  • Dallas-Fort Worth Intl. (DFW) to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Intl. (ATL)
  • Delta 1890
  • Economy / Coach (H)
  • Airbus A321

9:57am to 1:49pm 3h 52m9:57am to 1:49pm 3h 52m

• Atlanta to Philipsburg
  • Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Intl. (ATL) to Princess Juliana Intl. (SXM)
  • Delta 908
  • Economy / Coach (H)
  • Boeing 757 | Food For Purchase

[/FONT]

Did that a year and a half ago (flying from IAH). Not doing that ever again. Still trying to catch my breath. We are currently thinking of AA with a similar schedule, although a roughly 90 min layover in MIA. Last I checked the cost was about half the Delta flight.

PeterLynn, Yes, you are right, Delta far more expensive (but the better airline :laughing-cry:.) They are (my daughter and her friend) are going on American thru Atlanta with about an 1 1/2 hour layover.

Agree about Delta being better, although I don't recall the prices being too different until this year, otherwise we would probably overnight in ATL next year.

The trick is knowing how to get to SBH on the same day, I believe I solved that for ya. All I can say about the 58 min layover is start getting a little more exercise :wink2:

FIns85258 I appreciate the detailed info. We opted for the longer Atlanta layover because, as Hubby and I will already be on island, I really don't want to get a call from my daughter, sobbing that they missed their connection. That would be a serious killjoy to the day!

Delta must have been listening. Checking the round trip flight to SXM from IAH (I assume DFW would be the same?) and today, Delta is now $2 more than AA ($922 vs $920). Last week it was almost double.

Delta must have been listening. Checking the round trip flight to SXM from IAH (I assume DFW would be the same?) and today, Delta is now $2 more than AA ($922 vs $920). Last week it was almost double.
In the travel industry, I would never assume anything...or anything else.

Thank you PeterLynn,
I did get into the weeds and it appears American through Atlanta (UGH) is the best option. I would prefer for them to go through Charlotte but the layover is only an hour and I think that is too tight and risky. So a 5am out of Dallas thru Atlanta looks to be the best option price wise (they are young and "poor" and we are all pooling our resources, miles/cash) to try to make this happen. I guess I thought there would be more options but it became very clear, very quickly what has to happen!
I'm from Houston and our return flights through Charlotte ALWAYS require us to pick up our luggage at IAH the following day. Big pain for us. My assumption is that there is not enough time for TSA to inspect. I wish you happy traveling for your family.